AuthorTopic: [Feedback] Ukiyo-e "Dressing Room" by Kunisada  (Read 1633 times)

Offline king ebeneezer

• View Profile

[Feedback] Ukiyo-e "Dressing Room" by Kunisada

on: February 20, 2018, 06:24:12 am
This is my SuperBrothers' smashup/ mimicry of an ukiyo-e woodblock print called "Dressing Room" by Kunisada. I was thinking to myself a few weeks ago, gosh I'd love to get into pixel art! It's gotta be easier than learning "real art", right!? So I thought! And so I tried! Oh the fool I was! And I tried again... And then I started reading... and studying a bit... and trying and reading more, and studying a bit more, etc. And now I have a wacom intuos art tablet and trusty stylus! It is dangerous to go alone!

Anyways... o.O

I'm attempting here to take what I've researched of the language of ukiyo-e art, and of Superbrothers impressionistic style and merging that consciously as I recreate an actual ukiyo-e piece (linked below with the pixel version). I'm not sure if I'm branching away from pixel art territory here but I feel like i'm on to something I'd like to explore and develop, and I'd love to hear C+C about this hot mess.   

All C+C encouraged, general thoughts and comments too!
Glad to have found an active community as I begin my training! Kiyah!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 07:21:41 pm by king ebeneezer »

Offline king ebeneezer

• View Profile

Re: [CC] Ukiyo-e "Dressing Room" by Kunisada

Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 09:33:06 am
Edit: Touched up a few things, width of ladies kimono, length and shape of drapery, moved the gentleman a little closer/ behind the dressing room table... Little things I addressed after taking a break and coming back with fresher eyes.