AuthorTopic: Experimenting with new method.  (Read 4509 times)

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Experimenting with new method.

on: November 19, 2006, 06:37:23 pm
Typically I make an outline first and then detail, so this was a bit of an experiment, but I think I actually prefer doing it this way.
Obviously still far from done, but I think I'm more likely to finish it if I post it somewhere, so here it is:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/thefaceless2003/NewPixelation/Zeldayousexything.gif
It's refreshing pixelling after a long absence of it. Zelda again I know, but TP just came out so I'm pumped.
CC is welcome.

Edit 3:
After Crits:

And a bit of fun:

Edit 2:
So... update (finished):
~<>~

Edit:
update:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/thefaceless2003/NewPixelation/Zeldayousexything-1.gif

« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 11:00:54 am by Faceless »

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Re: Experimenting with new method.

Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 10:43:26 pm
always good to try new methods.
its nice, but like most of your work it has a very optimized pallet, not necessarily a bad thing but I'd like to see you make something where you didn't restrict yourself so much with the colours.
I guess I should be happy that you've pixelled something tho :P
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 03:26:21 am
Ah yes. This is pretty much how I pixel. I've never been much a fan of line-art first method. Looking great, though I think HER left ear seems either too low, too thin, or both.

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 06:13:15 am
That method is actually called 'blocking'. I've heard of it before, but I prefer using lineart, then coloring in :).

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 07:32:39 am
It's nice that you are pixelling something, though you look rusty.
I did a fast edit on things I would change. (I would have AA'd more but couldn't be bothered right now)

I moved the ears (one up and the other down), made the earrings a bit rounder with purple, and played a bit with the face.
Pretty much nitpicks though.

its nice, but like most of your work it has a very optimized pallet, not necessarily a bad thing but I'd like to see you make something where you didn't restrict yourself so much with the colours.

I would like to see you restricting yourself for once >:0

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 07:54:43 am
lol, I know my comment wasnt completely warranted for this piece, but its not very often faceless makes something so I thought I should say it now :P
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 07:56:29 am
Panda:
Thanks for the edit, it looks much better.
As for AA, I dunno, I think this is smooth enough for what it is.

Eyecraft:
Thanks for the comments.

.TakaM:
I don't really intentionally limit myself, I'm just used to aiming for 16 colours. For most things I think that's enough and I don't see how this would benefit from more colours. Sure, I could AA it more, but I like the crispness of it.

Edit: .TakaM you talk to me all the time... you dont have to wait til I've made something to bring it up... :S
Edit 2:
Updated after crits:

Just a bit of fun:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 10:25:42 am by Faceless »

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 01:18:17 pm
This method is interesting... a method I have adopted in the past when animating on paper first using a lightbox and what have you... (traditional cel based animation) - when there's loads of frames to plough through.

It's good for when you want quick results, but rather than roughing it in at the scale you're end image is going to be, try doing it at a much larger scale ... with BIG FAT brushes thick brushes, then take the rough big image (or images - if you're animating) and scale it down (don't do this in photoshop though cos it interpolates the pixels... [if you've got it set up to do that is] what you're looking for i nice clean pixels with no AA) - then once you've scaled it go over it again and tighten it all up as you would normally... you need to use BIG FAT BRUSHES cos you need the scale algorythm to pick up the FAT lines you use and convert them to pixels... a good rule of thumb is to multiply the final image res big 2 or 4 times the size then imagine the brushes you use are PIXEL scale... (it's a bit tricky to explain TBH) but the point is that the image you do a big scale is Rough and kind of... blobby...

That's how I do stuff when I'm converting from paper sketches - scanned and then colored roughly and then scaled down to regular sprites sizes...

This Yacko anim being a prime examples of this process...

keep on pushin!
Pete ;)
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 02:05:30 pm
Hey, nice anim.
I guess your method would really help with consistancy, but for this sort of thing, I don't think that a many times larger canvas really serves much purpose. I'll probably give your method a go some time in the future though. Who knows, I may discover something in that first step that makes the whole process much more seamless.