AuthorTopic: [WIP] RPG battle backgrounds  (Read 7292 times)

Offline StelloHexis

• View Profile

[WIP] RPG battle backgrounds

on: February 16, 2018, 03:44:56 am
Hello. I just want to have your opinion on these BG.

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] RPG battle backgrounds

Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 04:06:28 am
Nice and effective for a gbc tier rpg. Are you using a specific palette? I am not sure about the dark brown on the forest background, but I suppose it works if do not have a darker blue in a very limited the palette. I would go with a low saturated purplish dark blue, which would be the logical sequence for your ramps and probably work well on the other backgrounds as well.

The dungeon one stands out from the others because of the perspective, perhaps you could try similar perspective for the forest and the fiery cave as well.

Edit: this is what I mean:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 04:14:18 am by Vinik »

Offline StelloHexis

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 07:22:20 pm
 I'm using an NES palette. I came up with this for the forest bg.

Which looks better?

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 07:57:22 pm
Having shadows that are lighter than the midtones looks weird, so definitely the top one. I'd also perhaps go as far as replacing the background brown with black:

I'm not sure that the dark grey outline on the character is a valid NES colour, is that meant to be the same colour as black?

Offline StelloHexis

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 08:07:49 pm
Ohh!!. You are right. I have been using a darker grey for a while. I have been using it for so long that I thought it was part of the  NES palette.

Offline StelloHexis

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 10:14:01 pm

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 11:10:24 pm
Since you have a dark brown to work with, why not use it instead of the orange-black dithering in the background? You definitely have the space in the palettes.

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 11:14:42 pm
Sorry I just noticed it was the NES palette after posting :P. That brown was clashing with the other colors of the background anyway. I cannot think of a suggestion in NES colors other than black like eishiya said. You could also make all the other colors lighter to make room for one of the NES darks, but that would take the focus out of your characters.

However, how set are you in using exclusively NES colors? Please don't take this as an intrusion on your art choices, but, as an example, your game seems quite appealing to my retro tastes, and I certainly wouldn't be turned away if you took liberties with the colors. Perhaps even using a whole alternate NES palette to be harmonious, like those more desaturated NTSC options of modern emulators, I choose them over the "default" one anyday. NES colors wouldn't even look like those we can now see in clear displays. I remember that my tube tv from childhood was way over-saturated and warm by default, and my neighboor's one was much less vivid while still warm and the colors looked much more interesting on his tv set than on my. I think Aseprite has NES NTSC built in if ever wish to give it a try.

Offline StelloHexis

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 11:28:30 pm
@eishiya. Can you give me an example?

@Vinik. The thing is I have already used this set of colors for everything else. But if I have to I'm open to adding a few colors. I will try making it a shade brighter in a few minutes and see how it looks.

Offline StelloHexis

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 11:53:56 pm
AYYYYY!!!! :y: :lol: