AuthorTopic: [NEWBIE] Robot "launch" animation.  (Read 2224 times)

Offline Hoogo

• View Profile

[NEWBIE] Robot "launch" animation.

on: February 15, 2018, 10:53:17 am
Hey, I made this animation quickly this morning for pixel dailies. I was curious what more experienced people would thing about it.

Any tips, criticism, comment is more than welcome!  ;D

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: [NEWBIE] Robot "launch" animation.

Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 02:17:56 pm
I think you need more light/shadow jitter on the wheel as it moves, or perhaps more contrast, because the wheel doesn't look like it's moving. I was going to recommend adding some jitter, and realised only upon a closer inspection that you already had some.

If you hold each countdown frame a little bit longer, I think it would build more anticipation. Maybe have the check mark flash a couple of times to add some oomph, too?

The acceleration of the head lacks punch/energy. It starts off at a decent speed and then speeds up. That makes sense for such a small, light object being propelled by a spring, but it doesn't look interesting. Have it start off slower, maybe add some horizontal shaking (probably using subpixel animation, moving the head an entire pixel would be too much). That would add some "drama" and interest to the motion. Animate it like you would a rocket taking off xP

I think you should also add some rebounding/waving on the "neck" wire as well, it currently looks very static. It also seems to get thicker during launch and then thinner again after the head detaches.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 03:13:39 pm by eishiya »

Offline Hoogo

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 02:39:29 pm
Thank you so much for your feedback. I think everything you pointed out is more than valid. I'll rework the bits that need change.

Will keep you updated, thanks ;D

Offline Hoogo

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 03:32:42 pm
Here, I've tried to apply what you said:
  • Upped the contrast on the wheel
  • Worked with the head just before launch and fixed the spring and neck width
  • Tried to adjust frame length to make it better
  • Made longer the countdown and added the tick and arrow on screen

What do you think? :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 03:55:53 pm by Hoogo »

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 05:04:56 pm
The wheel's looking better! Consider adding some hints of treads in the light/shadow boundary on the wheel to make the rotation more clear, perhaps? Jittering the shadow is a good solution for when you don't have room for adding actual animation, but you do have room.

T added animation of the head flying in the distance is a great touch!

I feel the up arrow and added delay between the checkbox and lift-off is an unnecessary delay, it just makes the countdown feel like it fizzles out, rather than like a lead-in into the launch.

The spring and face shaking is a nice effect, but it feels unconnected to the launch because the head stops shaking for a moment before the actual launch. Have those animations overlap, so that they feel like parts of a single action.

The antenna on the robot's head has a nice bit of drag on it, but it the framerate/smoothness there seems lower than in other parts of the animation.

The launch motion of the head still looks rather boring to me.
I probably should've brought this up earlier, but is your goal to simulate a spring-launch (which would be super-fast at the start and then slow down), or a slow rocket launch that speeds up (but which, comically, is achieved via a spring)? I gave feedback with the assumption that you're going for a rocket-like launch since that's how you animated it in the beginning. If you want to really sell the spring launch though, then instead of starting slow and speeding up, start fast, perhaps so fast that you'd need a smear. Since you're now showing the head entering back into the frame in the distance, you have the luxury of the launch reading clearly even if the viewer can't get a good look at the launch itself because it's so fast.

Offline Hoogo

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 10:13:33 pm
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I will work on everything you mentioned and keep you updated asap.

Your time is greatly appreciated  :)