AuthorTopic: Improvement Piece  (Read 8426 times)

Offline Aleiav

• I like my coffee black just like my metal.
    • View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Improvement Piece

on: November 19, 2006, 09:15:45 am
So, I want to do a small piece that I can continue to work on and, hopefully, improve upon with suggestions from you peoples. :P I just did a small coloring of Tremulant's line art:

#1 -->

#2 -->

New Lines:

I think he's pillowshaded and just... shaded oddly. I don't know. I'll fix it in awhile but I'm putting it up for crits!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 10:41:21 pm by Aleiav »

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Re: Improvement Piece

Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 06:20:55 pm
The character design is great, and the contours on the character are well done for a proportionally tweaked figure such as this.

I agree with your color comment: Neesd to pop. Robotic arm could use more contrast. Dithering seems like a no-no on sprites. My edit should help you out, I hope?

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 07:13:53 pm
Well, I was making an edit, but I went extremely overboard:

• I don't think the dithering was doing this any favours. It just seemed to make it messy. :-X
  • I dropped the color count by 2, using a color in more than one ramp.
  • Added one (probably unnecessary) color, for stubble. :P
  • Made the outlines more intense, ergo making it look more like a game sprite, which I don't think it's supposed to be, so disregard that I guess

Take what you will from this.

PS. <3 The hat on Peppermint Pig's edit.

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 07:32:42 pm

I made a quick edit. Your skin was too pale and didnt know much diffrence from lights and darks. Outline in a darker color specially on a white background to bring out the 2D. I screwed up with the face and the pants I couldn't detail.

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 06:50:56 am
The skin palette is very bland and to brownish yellow, I prefer a red progressing to more yellow tone. I made an Edit in it I heavily edited the arms the most and changed all the palettes, I used Peppermint Pigs edit as a basis as his was closer to mine then yours.I kept the number of colours the same, but you can go further and drop another colour by using the lightest skin highlight as the lightest metal highlight. Your piece had a lot of unnecessary lining around it in inappropriate colours I removed those as even though it may have been an attempt at anti aliasing I would say the colours are a bit too bold at times. Metallic colours travel from light to dark very abruptly and so getting it to look like can be hard, looking at references for them wouldn't be a bad idea. I only altered the hat a tad but no palette change from Peppermint Pigs one.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 07:20:09 am by zeid »
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline Aleiav

• View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 07:50:41 am
Wow, thank you guys SO much for all of these edits. I'm really flattered that you guys offered to help me and took time out to do edits. Thanks so much!  :-*

Combining my PJ and Pixelation edits and crits... I completely redid it and came up with this:

I like this one SO much better.

I think the highlights on the hat might be a bit too much but... I wanna hear what you guys have to say.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 04:25:57 pm
Here's an edit...a little bit crappy, but oh well, it might hold some potential to assist...

Offline MoD

• mnky
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 12:57:00 am
Your edit seems to remove some of the depth from the pants and hat, IMO, but it looks better still, especially in the arm area. I hope this chef has the opportunity to benefit from all these awesome edits. I don't really have any other crits that haven't already been taken, though.

Offline Aleiav

• View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 03:05:47 am
Thanks for your crits and edits guys. I think I'm going to end this piece and continue with another.

:) Looks MUCH better than the first one, I think. I learned a lot from your crits and edits you guys.

I shall go and make another, however, and we'll see how I do on that.

Offline MoD

• mnky
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 04:04:27 am
Although it is sort of a posthumous crit, I'd like to point out that the highlights on the blue things could use to be closer in hue to the rest of the area, though you can fix that problem by moving the rest of the blue palette into a smoother transition or by trying other/adding more colors for the highlights.