AuthorTopic: Jack "Jackal" Jackson  (Read 2837 times)

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Jack "Jackal" Jackson

on: February 11, 2018, 10:44:10 pm
I'm working on some sprites for a game I'm hoping to make, and I need some feedback on my style translation. The character sheet sketch is a bit rough (it's just to nail down some of the ideas for the design so I can translate those to the character himself) but I'm having a bit of trouble thinking up where to go from here.

The character in-game is supposed to fight with scrapped-together car-part limb enhancements (essentially pistons mounted to his fists and feet for stronger jumps and punches) and I'm not sure how to squeeze that into this size limitation!

In addition, any feedback on the design itself is very welcome. He's intended to be a bit of a gleeful berserker type, and very much a cheeky boy. Likes pranking people in potentially dangerous ways, and is the leader of a greaser-themed gang of road warriors in a post-apoc setting.

Thank you in advance! I've also included the main character for a scale comparison, this dude's supposed to be kind of a mountain in comparison to her, but I didn't realize how much of a size disparity I'd created. I'll probably have to redo all of her sprites. Frustrating!

PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Re: Jack "Jackal" Jackson

Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 09:39:38 am
Love the design of the guy, he looks like some street level wolverine.

I think the biggest issue on your small sprite is readability and consistency.
like you have broken outlines on a lot of places, which just makes it look dirty and unfinished, so probably best to just close them all up or remove all together.
The face is also pretty unreadable and the eyes look like theyre coming out of his head too much, like they're popped out for example. So I tried just using less single pixels on the face, and i think that makes it look more readable. I see you were trying to show that large smile he has on the small sprite, but It just makes it look unreadable for the most part, so I think it's better to exclude that from the small sprite. Not every detail needs to be visible. You can maybe show that in the ingame portraits and such. Also added a little outline for the necklace so it sticks out more, otherwise it just looked like a bit of random pixels. Well hope it's helpful anyway!

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 05:09:03 am

Thanks for the great feedback, I took a lot of cues from yours and incorporated a few half-forgotten tricks to match it up with my head-concept more. Thoughts? I'm fairly happy with the head, but something feels off with the arms and body in general I can't quite put my finger on!

And if I can't put my finger on the bugs in my drawing, how can I be expected to squish them?

Offline DoomsdayBuccaneer

• Student Game Designer
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 04:00:27 pm
So I made a quick edit, nothing fancy or especially polished, just wanted to give a visualization of what I mean.

The arms felt off because the sleeves look like they're meant to be rolled up, yet were sitting about 2/3rds down the arm, making it feel like the forearm starts really low and is too small. I tried to fix the anatomy, and also slightly increased the contrast on the skin shadow color. His left hand also in particular was oddly shaped, so I tried to fix that, too.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 03:35:47 am
Haha, uh, the right one was my work and the one you grabbed was aamatniekss'. Sorry, I should have separated them out!

Definitely right about the arms, they were funky as all hell and I'm surprised I didnt see how kinda popeye they'd become. I'll take a gander at those on my own later, I do want him to be pretty gorrila-ish there.