AuthorTopic: [Feedback] tileset and other stuff  (Read 4921 times)

Offline KaiserPixel

• @kaiser_pixel
    • View Profile

Re: [Feedback] tileset and other stuff

Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 05:07:28 pm
You can push the perspective on the sprites a bit.

Also, made the boots more metal (contrast=metal) and shoved pixels around to clarify some stuff.

hey cool, I tried to do the 8 directions (still in process :-[), to see how it looks on the map, my intention is that it can move freely

a new enemy created by a partner (it's a programmer too) sprite its not finished yet and he still also learning pixel art

update:

Thanks everyone for your help!

looks like some kind of syndicate game, it's quite awesome for your first tiles. - That's my humble programmer's view ;)

Thanks  :)

new update (just character):

What do you think?
4 or 8 directions movement?
Thanks in advance :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 02:01:43 pm by KaiserPixel »

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 04:01:33 pm
The east/west sprites are nearly identical to the SW/SE sprites. Surely you can make them more distinct? Perhaps draw them more in profile rather thgan 3/4 view?

The north/south sprites are rather boring because of how symmetrical they are. Few people stand with perfect symmetry, let the character rest their weight on one leg. The south-facing sprite seems to have very different shadows from the rest.

The heels on the NW/NE sprites look very curved, it doesn't look like we're seeing the heels from above, but rather that the heels themselves are sort of off the ground. I think this is a combination of the shadows on the feet, and the fact that they then go into a horizontal line rather than an angled one, so it doesn't really read like a foot seen from slightly-above.

Offline KaiserPixel

• @kaiser_pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 03:17:00 pm
The east/west sprites are nearly identical to the SW/SE sprites. Surely you can make them more distinct? Perhaps draw them more in profile rather thgan 3/4 view?

The north/south sprites are rather boring because of how symmetrical they are. Few people stand with perfect symmetry, let the character rest their weight on one leg. The south-facing sprite seems to have very different shadows from the rest.

The heels on the NW/NE sprites look very curved, it doesn't look like we're seeing the heels from above, but rather that the heels themselves are sort of off the ground. I think this is a combination of the shadows on the feet, and the fact that they then go into a horizontal line rather than an angled one, so it doesn't really read like a foot seen from slightly-above.

Hi, thanks eishiya  :)

here my update on the character (N-S and NW-NE)
E and W I would not want to modify it many (by the view on the map)

...and here an update on the map:
I have added more details to the buildings also this past weekend I started to practice drawing trees and shrubs, I wanted to place some that looked artificial(hologram like), some tips here?  :blind:

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 03:39:19 pm
Watch your consistency between the different views of the character. For example, the trousers get wider and the boots get narrower in the back and front views. The lighting is also inconsistent.

I quite like the details! The city's starting to look like a city. Watch your road widths though - as I and yrizoud said earlier, the roads running vertically should be wider than the ones running horizontally, due to the low camera angle (simulated perspective distortion).

For the hologram trees, try something like this, perhaps?

This is just a two-frame animation, each frame showing alternate lines of the tree. The lines are at full opacity, but because it switches between the frames rapidly, it creates the illusion of transparency while also having that "scanline" look that people associate with holograms. It's also more interesting than just a static image. If the tree is too opaque or too high-contrast like this, you could lower the opacity on the entire sprite (in-engine ideally, so that you can fine-tune the opacity to the location).
If you want the holograms to be static, maybe make alternate scanlines brighter/darker instead of having them all be the same? Visible scanlines make everything look like a screen/hologram 8]
As an additional detail, maybe have some sort of base under the holographic trees, so that they don't just look like they're magically projected out of nowhere? It's not important, but it would add more believability to the setting.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 03:41:40 pm by eishiya »

Offline KaiserPixel

• @kaiser_pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 02:20:33 pm
Watch your consistency between the different views of the character. For example, the trousers get wider and the boots get narrower in the back and front views. The lighting is also inconsistent.

I quite like the details! The city's starting to look like a city. Watch your road widths though - as I and yrizoud said earlier, the roads running vertically should be wider than the ones running horizontally, due to the low camera angle (simulated perspective distortion).

For the hologram trees, try something like this, perhaps?

This is just a two-frame animation, each frame showing alternate lines of the tree. The lines are at full opacity, but because it switches between the frames rapidly, it creates the illusion of transparency while also having that "scanline" look that people associate with holograms. It's also more interesting than just a static image. If the tree is too opaque or too high-contrast like this, you could lower the opacity on the entire sprite (in-engine ideally, so that you can fine-tune the opacity to the location).
If you want the holograms to be static, maybe make alternate scanlines brighter/darker instead of having them all be the same? Visible scanlines make everything look like a screen/hologram 8]
As an additional detail, maybe have some sort of base under the holographic trees, so that they don't just look like they're magically projected out of nowhere? It's not important, but it would add more believability to the setting.

hey, thanks  :)

about the trees, I was trying something like that, then I'll put something in the tree base like the bushes, thanks for the tips

here my update on N-S:

I tried to keep the shape in the legs  :-[ and the shadows (or folds) come from top to bottom (N-S) :mean:
in the next map update I'll modify the roads  ;D

last edit, first post update with full map:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 07:29:16 pm by KaiserPixel »