AuthorTopic: [WIP] SHMUP Tank Boss!  (Read 17634 times)

Offline Lelle

• View Profile

[WIP] SHMUP Tank Boss!

on: November 18, 2006, 02:24:03 pm
Started working on a Tank Boss. Wanted to post it to get your opinions before I mess it up too much!

Itīs supposed to be half like that, because you will never see the upper part. The mockup is the exact size of the mobile phone itīs supposed to be for. Also I guess I will have to make another version for smaller phones with 128x128 screen, this one would be kinda huge on those ;]
The rocket launcher pack will be animated, also some parts will "shake" making it look somewhat like it's moving.

Without operator:       A different tone and in a mockup:

176x208

128x128: a bit too large?

Any opinions/critique or anything welcome! Both on pixelation and functionality etc!

Cheers,

Lelle

« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 01:58:00 pm by Lelle »

Offline Ian

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] SHMUP Tank Boss!

Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 03:08:49 pm
I would start by making the "camo" of the tank contrast much more.  It's difficult to notice it.  Maybe shift the "darker" camo to a little greener hue so it sticks out nicely.  Great job on the whole.

Offline Lelle

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 04:08:15 pm
Thanks Ian! I made a revision with your suggestion, I already had a green version of the tank, havenīt decided what colour it will be in the end yet, so it was easy to change it. You think it turned out better now? I need to work a bit more on the contrast though.

Cheers,

Lelle

Offline Schu

• The front is a lemon avenue flying straightly
    • View Profile
    • Eyegore-net

Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 05:05:30 pm
Green isn't very good for desert camouflage. I'd go for more dirt camouflage (like brown, beige, etc) but if you google around you'd notice the desert tanks with green on them are mostly beige to match the area. However, since your location is pretty orange, then the tank would most likely try to blend in more with similar colours. Nice tank though, but the gun barrel is pretty small for such a big vehicle. Doesn't make the boss look very menacing either.
------
Schu

Offline Ian

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 09:51:04 pm
Schu is absolutely right it looks bad with green... I still stick to my guns that it needed some more contrast somehow, but I'm not going to make any reccomendations on color this time.

Offline Lelle

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 09:51:41 pm
Thanks for pointers Schu! Aye, the camouflage isnīt too effective I'd say hehe, so changed it to what I would guess is Standard-1A when it comes to desert camouflage :]
I understand what you mean about the gun barrel, but this is only supposed to be a heavy machine gun operated from within the tank by a person(which instead would make it too large all of a sudden I guess...). Itīs true itīs not very frightening though, but I only thought of it as a secondary weapon.

So, I changed the camouflage and added some movement to it! I will try to concentrate on the functionality on the rocket launcher arm cause I donīt think it look very practical right now :]

Iīm sorry if the operator looks like he is milking a cow! Or something worse even...

Cheers,

Lelle

Offline sk8m8trix

• and shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 09:54:59 pm
...kill the opwrator, it would be better if u never saw him, make him be in the take, nice animation and tank (not counting operator)
And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth unto Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be, In Nomine Patris, Et Filii, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Offline Lelle

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 10:02:14 pm
...kill the opwrator, it would be better if u never saw him, make him be in the take, nice animation and tank (not counting operator)

Thanks sk8m8trix! I would remove him, however, if this turns out to be for a game I'm thinking of the operator will be a fundamental part of the game(an evil general) and will operate all of the end bosses. If it in the end looks totally out of place maybe it could be possible to make him get into the machines and vanish while operating them.

Cheers,

Lelle
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 10:08:06 pm by Lelle »

Offline Ian

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 10:16:26 pm
Ah! Much much more pleasing to the eyes... sorry bout that.  :y:

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 05:39:14 am

Iīm sorry if the operator looks like he is milking a cow! Or something worse even...

Lol!

Ahem
I totally love how the tank looks and moves! Very nice vehicle design and camouflage too!
If you are indeed going to use this for a game, I can already see that the game is going to look awesome.

Love your little man with the gun too.