AuthorTopic: [Feedback] first character  (Read 2012 times)

Offline KaiserPixel

• @kaiser_pixel
    • View Profile

[Feedback] first character

on: February 02, 2018, 02:45:17 pm
Hi guys!
I'm new to the forum and well ... I'm a developer but I try to learn pixel art

Here my first character and his animation

any feedback is welcome :)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: [Feedback] first character

Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 03:45:54 pm
It looks like you have some mixed pixel resolutions in here, and some blurring (or just needlessly similar colours). So, these pieces could use some clean-up. Edit them at 1x, so that you can be sure each "pixel" is only 1 pixel.

Intense red and intense blue are not a pleasant colour combination, I recommend making one or both of the colours duller, probably by lowering the saturation.

You have nice hue-shifting on the trousers, but none on the shirt. You can get a more interesting and lively-looking palette if you employ hue-shifting everywhere. If you hue-shift consistently, taking all the shadows towards a single hue, it can also add more unity to colours that otherwise might not work well together.

Why does one leg have an outline, while the other does not? Same question for the arms, though it's less noticeable there.

Here are a couple of edits. The left changes only the colours, adding more hue-shifting, reducing the saturation on many colours, removing redundant colours (those that don't make a difference when zoomed out), increasing contrast in some spots, and reducing the colour count from 36 to 17 in the process (fewer colours are way easier to animate!). The colour change on the bracelet should also affect the magic in the animation nicely. The right edit also changes the shapes of things.

On the right one, I changed the chest to give it a shadow in a more natural spot (if the character isn't meant to have breasts, there should be almost no shadow there), added a little fold to the shirt so it looks less like body paint, lowered the tops of the boots by a pixel to give the knees some room, extended the lit area on the legs down to the knees (having a shadow start mid-thigh makes the legs look like they bend unnaturally). One particular change I want to point out is the bottoms of the boots, I removed the shadow and the outline. It probably looks weird in isolation, but in context, this makes the character look like they're standing firmly on the ground rather than floating slightly above it. Try it out, you'll probably appreciate the difference.

The animation on the torso looks like it's too much to me. The shadows should change subtly, but in yours it looks like the character has a snake slithering under their clothes. The boots moving so much also looks weird when the legs barely move. You've got your priorities a bit off, I think - focus on animating the silhouette, and change the internals only as much as you have to. That'll make for an animation that reads clearly, but doesn't look too busy.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 03:48:01 pm by eishiya »

Offline KaiserPixel

• @kaiser_pixel
    • View Profile

Re: [Feedback] first character

Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 12:45:16 am
It looks like you have some mixed pixel resolutions in here, and some blurring (or just needlessly similar colours). So, these pieces could use some clean-up. Edit them at 1x, so that you can be sure each "pixel" is only 1 pixel.

Intense red and intense blue are not a pleasant colour combination, I recommend making one or both of the colours duller, probably by lowering the saturation.

You have nice hue-shifting on the trousers, but none on the shirt. You can get a more interesting and lively-looking palette if you employ hue-shifting everywhere. If you hue-shift consistently, taking all the shadows towards a single hue, it can also add more unity to colours that otherwise might not work well together.

Why does one leg have an outline, while the other does not? Same question for the arms, though it's less noticeable there.

Here are a couple of edits. The left changes only the colours, adding more hue-shifting, reducing the saturation on many colours, removing redundant colours (those that don't make a difference when zoomed out), increasing contrast in some spots, and reducing the colour count from 36 to 17 in the process (fewer colours are way easier to animate!). The colour change on the bracelet should also affect the magic in the animation nicely. The right edit also changes the shapes of things.

On the right one, I changed the chest to give it a shadow in a more natural spot (if the character isn't meant to have breasts, there should be almost no shadow there), added a little fold to the shirt so it looks less like body paint, lowered the tops of the boots by a pixel to give the knees some room, extended the lit area on the legs down to the knees (having a shadow start mid-thigh makes the legs look like they bend unnaturally). One particular change I want to point out is the bottoms of the boots, I removed the shadow and the outline. It probably looks weird in isolation, but in context, this makes the character look like they're standing firmly on the ground rather than floating slightly above it. Try it out, you'll probably appreciate the difference.

The animation on the torso looks like it's too much to me. The shadows should change subtly, but in yours it looks like the character has a snake slithering under their clothes. The boots moving so much also looks weird when the legs barely move. You've got your priorities a bit off, I think - focus on animating the silhouette, and change the internals only as much as you have to. That'll make for an animation that reads clearly, but doesn't look too busy.

really, thanks for the help, I'm reading and practicing everything (hue-shifting still seems complicated to me :-[) I'll work on the animation and again thanks for the tips :y: :)

Edit:

well ... some update here

I trying to make the character seem breathing (removing the snake inside his shirt from previous animation :lol:) and some other animations (awaken power/ transformation)

« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 03:49:42 pm by KaiserPixel »