AuthorTopic: [FEEDBACK] videogame head sprite  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Farfan_the_weeb

• View Profile

[FEEDBACK] videogame head sprite

on: February 01, 2018, 01:50:42 am
Me and a friend have been working on a video game for a little while and we made our first sprite of the protagonist's head

what do you guys think?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 03:34:16 am by Farfan_the_weeb »

Offline Farfan_the_weeb

• View Profile

Re: [FEEDBACK] videogame head sprite

Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 01:51:52 am
Goddamnit the image isn't showing

Offline Farfan_the_weeb

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 01:52:30 am

Offline Farfan_the_weeb

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 02:08:21 am
Sorry for the stupidity, but when I try to post the image, it just won't accept my imgbb link when it asks for it after i press the insert image button
I have never posted on a forum so this is all new to me, could somebody help me?
I tried using the Tools, Resources and Linkage thingy that's in the FAQ, but it won't open  :'(

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 02:32:55 am
step one: use imgur
step 2: click the mona lisa icon in the bottom left corner of the formatting bar
step C: insert the direct image link (ending in a filetype, ie, .png .gif etc) between the formatting tags that pop up
Step Four: post
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Farfan_the_weeb

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 03:35:59 am
Thanks, Mysterymeat!

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 06:06:02 am
Aye. Now for the critique:

you've got a lot of jaggies and floating pixels. Those spots of lighter brown on the hair, the way the curves don't quite work, the banding on the hair, the low contrast on the browns...

Try to start with reducing your color count on the hair to two, maybe three shades of brown or brownish red. Light, middle, dark. Then use those to do the entirety of the hair. While doing this, try to keep pixels grouped as much as possible. Sort of like you're making the piece out of Tetris blocks!

As for jaggies, that's a bit more of an abstract concept, but basically, follow this guide here:

Another thing you're doing is using solid black as an inside color,  it tends to draw the eye too much and distract from other details! Try replacing them with shades relevant to the part being drawn, like a darker tone on the skin for the nose ears and lip-line or the darker brown color from your new palette.

Contrast in your colors is also an issue throughout the piece here, now that I take a closer look. I didn't even notice the cheek circles until I spent a bit longer looking at it, same for the shading around the eyes!

Something that helps my colorblind butt keep it in line is a minimum of five to ten values on the hue saturation or value sliders for MINIMUM contrast. It takes a bit for it to click sometimes (it did for me) but once you start seeing how crisp higher contrasts can make the colors you use you'll start to really take it in!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline CupOhJoe

• @CupOhhJoe
    • http://cupohjoe
    • View Profile
    • Art Joe Art!

Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 05:20:42 pm
First of all congrats to you and your friend for moving forward with making a game! 
As for a critique I think MysteryMeat hit a lot of really good points! 

But, my biggest issue personally is I can't tell what's going on with her neck. Is she wearing a brown turtle neck sweater?  Or are those supposed to be cast shadows from her head?

If that's supposed to be clothing, I would personally try a different color due to the fact that it's so close to the hair color.  For a first sprite it's not too shabby!  But, I think doing another pass on this would help it out for sure. 
cupohjoespixels.carbonmade.com

Offline Farfan_the_weeb

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 06:02:12 pm
Thanks for the feedback!
We'll get to fixing the sprite as soon as we can