AuthorTopic: [Feedback] My first grass tile  (Read 4668 times)

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

[Feedback] My first grass tile

on: January 29, 2018, 02:45:06 pm
Hello!

I've been making a grass/dirt tile(24x24) for my game and it is quite challenging. I am so far happy with the result but surely it's can be better. Any feedback/Critique is welcome!

Thanks!

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 02:47:44 pm by Jedemy »

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: [Feedback] My first grass tile

Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 03:22:32 pm
The grass itself looks nice! The repetition isn't very noticeable, and it'll probably be hard to spot once there are lots of elements in the scene.

The transition between the dirt and grass seems to be drawn in a different style though. The main grass is thin and vertical, the transition grass is thick and lying flat.

Offline Zanorin

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/177874.htm
    • BasmatiPixel
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 03:32:08 pm
I would agree with eishiya, altough what bugs me a little is the color more than the texture change ; the whole grassy area is a blueish shade of green, whereas the transition between dirt and grass is a warmer, more yellowish shade of green. I would try to "warm up" the rest of the grass as well, maybe it's just me though. The textures in themselves look fine to me!

Also, I don't know if the picture with the characters on it is just a quick mockup or not, but the resolutions of the grass and of each character seems to be different (bigger pixels for the guy on the left, smaller pixels for the guy on the right). If it wasn't an intentionnally sketchy scene you might wanna avoid mixing up different resolutions.
Half a noob figuring out stuff.

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 05:39:31 pm
Thanks for the feedback! It was very helpfull. :)

Here is a new try. What do you guys think?

@Zanorin , guy on the left is place holder but other one will be in the game.

Offline Zanorin

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/177874.htm
    • BasmatiPixel
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 06:05:40 pm
Personnally I like the new texture, kind of Secret of Mana-esque. The dirt pattern might get a little repetitive maybe ?
Also, you might wanna try shifting the hue of your grass, to make it warmer and less blue. Here's an edit so you see what I mean:
Half a noob figuring out stuff.

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 06:27:45 pm
Thanks Zanorin. I've changed the hue a bit so it is more greenish and alive now. I am still working on it though, i'll be posting in a day or 2 with an update!

Still if anyone would like to feedback, i am all ears!

Thanks!

Offline legiaoru

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 09:13:24 pm
 I think you could add some diagonal tiles, like those in Seiken Densetsu 3:

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 10:33:12 pm
Looking at these kinds of tiles, something I often find myself thinking is "Why does the grass stop there around the dirt?"

Like, is that supposed to be a manicured pathway, a trodden footpath, just some bare patches in the grass..?

If its the former the edges would be a bit cleaner, right now the way they are makes it look like the grass is hovering slightly aboce the dirt bits.

If it's the second, then you'd expect the edges to be less pointing in and more trampled outwards as people made the path by just walking there a lot until things stopped trying to grow there.

And if its the latter, it might do to spruce up the dirt with assorted detritus like pebbles or exposed roots to drive that home a bit.

Think about the scene a bit!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 12:04:51 pm
@Legiaoru , thanks for the tip! I am already working on it and Legend of mana(didn't know it's japanese name before) is my inspiration! :)

@MysteryMeat , i am planning to add more variety to grass/corners to make it look better. Also i didn't even start the dirt yet , just a place holder for now. Overall thanks for your feedback! I will make it better and post it soon! :)

Offline Hunited

• Post-ironic is the new authentic.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 11:13:48 pm
The grid is more noticable in the new version of the grass compared to the old one, you might want to look into that.