AuthorTopic: A mock-up is growing. WIP. [-> A boy is running! WIP.]  (Read 29344 times)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

A mock-up is growing. WIP. [-> A boy is running! WIP.]

on: November 16, 2006, 10:47:32 pm

Ba-dinng! I figured I'd post the beginning of this mock-up I made. I just realized that the light source is off between the rocks and the incussion in the middle so I figure i'll just flip it. But please do CnC and edit away. Yay.

This is for a Zelda 2-style metroidvania game that I will make in a hundred years. It is also my first BG art like evarr. So go easy on me. Not. :P
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 10:33:40 am by Jad »
' _ '

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Re: A mock-up is born. WIP.

Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 10:52:49 pm
I love it.. The backround is the only thing i dont like, dont really know why, must be the colours. Anyway very nice work on the rock texture.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 11:05:01 pm
Oh, but the backgroud is supposed to be über-detailed forest of lushness, this is simply a placeholder. That the two colours are dark green and some yellowish light green is just to remind me of that the end result I want is a dark lush forest with magical greenish shining-through-leaves-light flowing down below. :]

So don't you worry :D

Also, I was on the phone while posting the thread so I have a few more things to add;

The big 'hole' thing is supposed to be filled with water, so the background and possibly also the rocks are going to change colour as it goes deeper and the bottom is of course filled with seaweed, bubbles and nice fishies. This is also supposed to be a forest village; Plus that the screen size is supposed to be that of a Nintendo DS so you're not supposed to see this much in the vertical space; When you're up walking on the grass, you will only have a vague idea of what is down under water, and in the beginning of the game, you can't dive very low, so it's supposed to be a kind of secret-in-the-middle-of-a-village-type of thing.

Oh yes, this is a forest side village, so If I'm able, I'll add a house and so. Maybe a nice bridge over the water too.

And coming is a diving main-character and a GUI. :]

Rant over, go on now, you all.
' _ '

Offline st3ady

• i can has cheezburger?
    • View Profile
    • st3ady

Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 12:15:54 am
lookin real good Jad, can't wait to see more...
if ur serious about developing for the NDS you might want to check out www.palib.com and read the tutorials.

or find urself a coder
and maybe another few artists? :)

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 08:07:09 am
 The tiles look really nice. I don't know about the forest, I hope to it done. The grass is nice. Just get it done, we want to see the final piece. Good luck!

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 09:12:55 am
Delicious! I can picture the final product in my head and it makes me salivate.

The shading on the rocks seems to uniform and sharp. Maybe have more of a light fall off as the rocks get deeper into the "void", that is, looking at the rock wall there, there's a bit more of a gradual light fall off as your view moves from right to left of the tiles.

I don't like how the grass is shaded...but thats early days I assume.

Looking forward to the next update  :)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 11:23:48 am
Delicious! I can picture the final product in my head and it makes me salivate.

The shading on the rocks seems to uniform and sharp. Maybe have more of a light fall off as the rocks get deeper into the "void", that is, looking at the rock wall there, there's a bit more of a gradual light fall off as your view moves from right to left of the tiles.

I don't like how the grass is shaded...but thats early days I assume.

Looking forward to the next update  :)

Actually, I am having a bit of trouble with the grass; if you have a suggestion, please show me :3

the bottom shade of bright grass is the "platform" where the player and NPC stands, that's why it's highlighted in such a blatant way, the player should be aware of where you will be landing once you jump.
' _ '

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 04:55:59 pm
RESURRECTION! PHOENIX DOWN! REVERSAL BOMB OF LIFE!

==>

I did stuff. ô wô Some for the better, some for the worse. Oh, and the screen-size is impossible of course. It's supposed to be Nintendo DS-sized.

I also added a crapload of colors into it since I'm thinking more about getting the feel right than putting restrictions upon myself and the picture.

And gah, I hope that I manage to come up with a better way of rendering the main character. I want the simplicity to stay, but more dynamic shapes would be great. Hmm.

Anyways, edit and c&c is more than welcome since I've stared myself blind at this :\
' _ '

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: A mock-up is born. WIP. [->A mock-up is growing.]

Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 05:16:06 pm
excellent progress, just continue polishing!

Offline Stitchy

• A ghost wandering the shore
    • View Profile
    • That one place everyone hates.

Re: A mock-up is born. WIP. [->A mock-up is growing.]

Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 05:54:33 pm
Hm! This is very nice. :'D Though you're probably working on it, I would definitely put some more minimal detail in the middle ground trees. The big detailed one looks a lil outta place, but I have a feeling you were gonna do that anyway. The tree looks great, but I don't particularly like the way you have rendered the leaves with that mock dithering type of thing. I think it just looks too uniform at the moment.

I wont comment on the water plants because those are totally WIP. But, I will say that the health bars look really out of place. It's good for them to be noticeable, but perhaps you should try to give them a look that goes better with the theme of the game. It just looks too pristine for the nature orientation this seems to have.

And for the figure... I would definitely first change the dithering on the hat. When you dither with just the two colors, most people wont get the sense of it being made of straw, but that you just shaded it (that's what I thought at first, but then discovered it must be made of straw.) Try adding some dithering with the darker shade you used under the brim to the extreme shadow of the hat. I also think the brown you used for his hair blends to much with the hat. Perhaps try tweaking it a bit?

Overall, though, this is simply amazing. C:
Be it, so be quick
Don’t run, just walk and walk and walk
Don’t lose yourself, to decorate
Somewhere on your wall 'Cause somewhere in your mind You know you are doing fine Holding secret hair locks You’ll pluck before you hide