AuthorTopic: A mock-up is growing. WIP. [-> A boy is running! WIP.]  (Read 29350 times)

Offline am_pm

• Lurker supreme
    • View Profile

Re: A mock-up is growing. WIP. [-> A boy is running! WIP.]

Reply #40 on: June 19, 2007, 03:26:30 pm
At one frame his far leg completely disappears with his foot still remaining, but otherwise, great job!

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: June 19, 2007, 10:33:36 pm

More done now. I'll consider myself done with the run as of now and move on to something else.
' _ '

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #42 on: June 20, 2007, 09:44:08 pm
Left mine

I quite like the runanimation, but I think it has some bits which could be improved.
You go from legs apart and in air straight to passing position (where the legs cross like a 4) without having any contact of the heel with the ground in the frame before.
I changed that by moving the frame before the passing one down a pixel and then the passing one up a tad because when you run that is the bit where the body jolts back up.

Your guy then stays 2 frames in the air, and then goes down. I made this smoother by making the down gradual. I think these things make your animation too snappy and a bit robotic looking.

I also edited the ease out frame after the extremes which was very minimal in yours, I mostly edited the back foot a bit.

Keep it up, this is getting really nice  :y:
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: June 21, 2007, 10:34:04 am
About snappy- and robotic-lookingness, I actually kind of aimed for that. I wanted him to do a really energetic run, and I quite like the 'snappy' part.

But robotic? :( Not really what I aimed for. Well, thank you for the critique, I'll see the run in-game (I wonder when) and I'll of course consider your critique. Right now, though, I'll leave it, as I have to get on with other stuff.

(note that your edit seems to look better and less snappy at 2x, while the eye fills in a lot of the snappy gaps in mine at 1x, at least that's how I see it. In that case, mine would be favorable on a DS screen. But now I'm perhaps just rambling :>)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 11:29:07 am by Jad »
' _ '

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #44 on: June 30, 2007, 03:53:46 am
just posting to post someone else's work, but Pegwo did the best snappy happy run anim I've ever seen
Thinking it might help you, I tried to reduce it to 8 frames with the least loss

I never posted here because I never really had anything to apport, but I love all the stuff you've done in here =)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #45 on: June 30, 2007, 08:34:17 am
Nice updates Jad!  He doesn't look very robotic to me.  Conceit, not to discount the reference and frame-trimming effort, I don't really see how any part of that image could be construed as helpful at this point.  The legs on that one are too busy and confused, and the far arm's position doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  The attitude and posture of the character is vastly different, and there is no trunk motion to reference in it either.  Just sayin!

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #46 on: July 02, 2007, 04:18:53 pm
The snappy version looks better to me. It gives the character... eh... character.

Offline o_8

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: July 05, 2007, 06:40:28 am
oooh this is great- i love those run cycles too- so charming T^T/ can't wait to see this as a completed game or whatnot~

Offline TomF

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: July 05, 2007, 07:59:20 am
I have nothing to offer critique wise, but I'd just like to say how beautiful this looks and I hope you'll release some sort of demo soon.  :y: