AuthorTopic: Josephin  (Read 12620 times)

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Josephin

on: November 16, 2006, 09:41:30 pm
I traced the hardest parts, but i tried to make the outline as original as possible, im not just very good with outlines. Well anyway, the shading is fully mine, dithered it all by hand, im not very good with dithering since i never really used it much in my earlier works. Ill accept critz and edits, but don't edit to much and make it to good since then ill have to copy whoever makes it better :P. Anyway, im proud since ive done it pretty fast, around 5-6 hours of work.. thats pretty fast for me since i don't pixel allot. Anyway enjoy i guess, its still W.I.P as you all see.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 12:11:46 pm by ZoSo »

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Re: Josephin

Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 10:19:54 pm
Awesome work. FINISH IT!

Heh.. actually, I should critique (that's what I do!).

Pink on chin could be smoother, more diffused.

Forehead has no dither for that dark shade near the right by the outline.

Need to AA the bottom eyelid.

Your darkest red hair shade is too dark, I think.

Here's a technique I would like to share with you:

It's called interlaced dithering. You should be able to reduce your palette by about 20 percent with this technique. But even if you don't reduce your colors, it should help you out.

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 10:25:49 pm
Thank you, the technique looks kinda hard to do, im sure i can learn it sooner or later, thank you for sharing it :).  im sure gonna finnish it. I dont know if im gonna fix all the stuff right away since im pretty tired right now xD. I might reshade the picture later in the future and such, anyway did this while awaiting reply.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 10:36:19 pm
Nice update. Soften lines on neck. I think the specular on the lip is too bright (the 2 pixel diagonal). Should be a cooler and darker color.

Thank you, the technique looks kinda hard to do, im sure i can learn it sooner or later, thank you for sharing it

Trust your dither instincts, one side of the checker is 'light', the other is 'dark'. Two different planes. The more contrast between the planes, the more 'metallic' or shiny something can appear. Most of the time you just want to make sure that your contrast in the checkerboard never gets too weak or too strong to maintain the effect so you can make successful shade transitions without having to resort to too much inconsistency, such as big pockets of non dither that might make us think there's a change in surface material.

Dithering from a pixeler's perspective is funny, since it creates soft and fuzzy at the same time, while smooth sheets of color are seen as hard, plastic, or slick, but too much contrast and its's reflective like metal again!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 10:41:34 pm by Peppermint Pig »

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 10:45:08 pm
Thanks for sharing your knowledge, im sure they will help me out since im pretty new to dithering. Im gonna try your technique since it seems alot smarter. Thank you.

Yet again i did this while i was waiting for the next reply, the ear could be better.. but bleh, also one colour has been removed that was pretty much useless, and her eyes have a new colour to. A bit brighter purple.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 10:47:10 pm
yeah so, pep, youre gonna show me how to do that interlaced dither thing right?
edit: nvm, i think i got the hang of it.
zoso: this is a wonderful piece, but the dithering is just dirtying it up. i really suggest you use the interlace technique. it will make all the wondeful hue changes and speculars look much smoother.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 11:00:09 pm by Ryumaru »

Offline BadMrBox

• Bringer of Apocalypse
    • View Profile
    • Ragnarok Games

Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 11:24:12 pm
This piece is great  ;D

Offline Aleiav

• I like my coffee black just like my metal.
    • View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 01:00:09 am
WOW  :o

Very good so far, can't wait to see the finished product.

I do think the hair should be a little more textured in the pony tail. Right now it's looking a bit stiff and unrealistic.

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 01:04:29 am
show reference maybe? parts of the ear look outlined which isn't a good thing. also you've got quite a few strays but i'm assuming you'll clean up when it's finished.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 01:05:55 am
Yes, please show reference.