AuthorTopic: 2 Explosions. 1 Big 1 Small  (Read 13581 times)

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Re: 2 Explosions. 1 Big 1 Small

Reply #20 on: November 17, 2006, 06:18:18 pm
To be honest, the Metal Slug explosion is very stylized and doesn't look realistic, so I don't see the point in trying to copy it for your game. You'd do better to invent your own type of explosion. Everyone who sees that will say 'Oh, Metal Slug.'

- Adam

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #21 on: November 17, 2006, 06:21:04 pm
right lelle...
you need to check your pallette usage over time... (frame to frame)

You've got some dark greys in there somewhere that on frame 11 -are starting to creep into the dissapation sequence... this is the right thing to do - but you need to carry on with it through the remaining frames - so by the end of the sequence you've kind of cross faded totally from the yellow/red hues to the grey ones... but in order to do this you'll need to manipulate the pallette somewhat and add a couple more greys or consolidate the pallette down and edit the sequence accordingly. (these colors appear brielfy on frames 6 and 7 too) - if you use them then be consistent across the sequence.

Also, your pallete zero (transparency color) - when you next set your pallette up - should be a vivid color sayt bright magenta or green - any color that you're not likely to place into the main piece of art by mistake - in this case you've got orange background and there are a few stray pixels in there that I don't think you meant to use... simple mistake, easy to rectify...

Other than that... nearly there... keep it up... I'm off for the w/e now so over and out... I'll check back monday.
:)
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #22 on: November 17, 2006, 06:22:30 pm
To be honest, the Metal Slug explosion is very stylized and doesn't look realistic, so I don't see the point in trying to copy it for your game. You'd do better to invent your own type of explosion. Everyone who sees that will say 'Oh, Metal Slug.'

- Adam

oop contravertial... ;)  but correct in some respects - I agree from the POV that perhaps you should be reconsidering it's usage in the game - but as far as an excercise in movements concerned it's still valuable... :)

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Lelle

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: November 17, 2006, 07:04:50 pm

- Adam

Thanks for pointers Adam! But what in it makes it look too "Metal Slug:ish"? The flashes in the beginning totally feels too much like MS and it felt weird to even use them for this and I wouldnīt dare use it for any game. But the other stuff, like the "rolling" flames, how could I get away from that when I'm aiming for an explosion for a vertical scrolling military shmup, cause in my eyes it kinda looks like an oily military explosion now. I donīt think my own "invented" blue flashing lightning explosions would suit such a game hehe :] How would you rate the first explosions I made in regards to the same matter.

Baccaman21: Thanks for feedback. You are right I need to clean it all up. I was thinking of doing it after choosing the frames I would use if I were to use it for a game.

Cheers,

Lelle

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #24 on: November 17, 2006, 07:06:51 pm
In fact the metal slug ones are not really all that stylised. As far as physics of flame movement goes they are not, as far as actuall amount of particles and smoke and such goes they are heavyly stylised. In most cases you have way way more dust flying around, and explosions are also faster most of the time.

check 1:40 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpILAkwquhA

and here 2:16 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaPTTVRavoc&mode=related&search=
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 07:13:06 pm by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.