AuthorTopic: [WIP] this is the correct way to shade a trench coat? (or something like that)  (Read 2669 times)

Offline victornecromancer

• This is gr8 8/8 m8!
    • View Profile
A work in progress, but I would like to know if this shading is good c:

(Clean version)

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!
Nope! You gotta pick a better (and more consistent) lightsource, doing it from the camera straight on tends to look pretty janky in pixelwork. It's called "pillow shading" by most, and is generally looked at pretty sideways. Head on back to flat colors and try picking a corner of the screen to work from, that seems to be the consensus amongst most companies!

As for keeping it consistent, look at the had and then his coat. You have light coming from the right, light coming from the camera, and in general it creates kind of a poor sense of light direction.

(Also, aside from the shading, his leftmost leg looks a bit shorter than the other. Might want to tweak that before you get too far in!)
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

• This is gr8 8/8 m8!
    • View Profile
Nope! You gotta pick a better (and more consistent) lightsource, doing it from the camera straight on tends to look pretty janky in pixelwork. It's called "pillow shading" by most, and is generally looked at pretty sideways. Head on back to flat colors and try picking a corner of the screen to work from, that seems to be the consensus amongst most companies!

As for keeping it consistent, look at the had and then his coat. You have light coming from the right, light coming from the camera, and in general it creates kind of a poor sense of light direction.

(Also, aside from the shading, his leftmost leg looks a bit shorter than the other. Might want to tweak that before you get too far in!)

Hello friend! And thanks for the great tips! I have to admit that I already knew about pillow shading, but this is my first time drawing a human :v (I only drew weapons)

Some shadows are there because of the arms and the mask.

Did I do it correctly?

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile
Since you've abandoned the idea of making the coat interior a different (brighter) color, you should probably go all the way and paint it a darker, solid color. It's 'inside', it's farther from the viewer, and it's not in position to receive as much daylight : three reason to make it darker than the rest.

The top hat would look less fuzzy if you painted most of it in its darkest shade, and only the vertical highlight (20% percent of surface) brighter. It is a well-known shape, and viewers are used to recognise it in two tones (see any picture of scrooge mc duck). It's a good occasion to practice using the intermediate tones only for antialiasing the band.

• This is gr8 8/8 m8!
    • View Profile
Since you've abandoned the idea of making the coat interior a different (brighter) color, you should probably go all the way and paint it a darker, solid color. It's 'inside', it's farther from the viewer, and it's not in position to receive as much daylight : three reason to make it darker than the rest.

The top hat would look less fuzzy if you painted most of it in its darkest shade, and only the vertical highlight (20% percent of surface) brighter. It is a well-known shape, and viewers are used to recognise it in two tones (see any picture of scrooge mc duck). It's a good occasion to practice using the intermediate tones only for antialiasing the band.

Thank you for the tips!

Something like that?

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile
Yes! Although I thought you would favor a side for the reflection, rather than "head on". It's often easier to shade a character if light is coming more from one side (left or right) than the other.

• This is gr8 8/8 m8!
    • View Profile
This is most likely the final edit i will made :v His name is Abadom (I do not intend to animate unfortunately)