AuthorTopic: Solid Snake  (Read 6399 times)

Offline MadToaster

• View Profile

Solid Snake

on: September 14, 2005, 01:19:20 pm

Found my way here through Pixel Joint and I recognize a few of you from Pixelation.  Haven't had the opportunity to draw much in previous months but it's been fun getting back into it.  Here's the WIP of my current sprite.  Any suggestions on how to make the image look more finished? I feel pretty strong about making the line art but things kind've fall apart when I get to picking colors and shading.

Here's a previous iteration to show you how i'm coming along this week. :]

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Re: Solid Snake

Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 01:21:34 pm
ive always loved your stuff toaster. I am really liking this so far as well, the face is just very appropriate and the colours seem to be just fantastic. if you wouldnt mind, could you post some of your older stuff...i wouldnt mind getting those onto my comp for ref later on. i loved them. especially the monkey.
alexander

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 02:15:01 pm
Any suggestions on how to make the image look more finished?

The sages of the east say that finishing the sprite might prove of some help :)

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 06:18:04 pm
this reminds me of this one chibi Solid Snake picture that i found on google, I love the colors!

i don't know really what to crit though, i'm pretty horrible at that stuff, hence why I ask about it all the time...

the proportions i think are perfect, and it's one sweetass style
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 08:48:55 pm
My favorite pixel artist pixels my favorite video game character. It must be my lucky day.

I can't fathom how you make such distinctive lines. As always your style is superb, and makes me a jealous person. I have a few suggestions that I hope you'll take into consideration. His right hand's fingers look rather short. I think your fingers naturally go diagonal when you put your hand in that position. His eyes don't seem focused -- like he's not looking down the sights of the gun. Adding a bit of a squint could solve this problem and also give him more of a badass feel. While I like the colors a lot, I think since you're using so few more contrast would look good and give more depth.

I second the notion that you post your old stuff. Oh, one more thing, I'm Frank Jaeger if you remember that name.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 08:51:01 pm by David »

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 09:22:51 pm
Smooth. I don't think adding another shade to his face would hurt, though.
@darionmccoy

Offline MadToaster

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 05:16:14 am
if you wouldnt mind, could you post some of your older stuff...

Here's what I had up on photobucket. I have no idea why that ninja is throwing the horns. ;p  Nice to see you again, Alex.

His right hand's fingers look rather short. I think your fingers naturally go diagonal when you put your hand in that position. His eyes don't seem focused -- like he's not looking down the sights of the gun. Adding a bit of a squint could solve this problem and also give him more of a badass feel. While I like the colors a lot, I think since you're using so few more contrast would look good and give more depth.
Hey, David. :] Yeah I remember you.  You're right about the right hand fingers, I'll tweak that.  The face I'm not sure is a problem. I'm trying to  make video game sprites so I wanted a neutral face that could be reused in a lot of frames.  I notice a lot of games do this type of recycling. If it doesn't look so good i'll put more effort in.

Zach
Yeah it amazed me how many people had the idea to draw him like a midget. I've been spending a long time thinking out how I like my proportions (as all of these sprites over the previous months show).  I locked it down at 2 and a half heads height but the legs and arms are always growing and shrinking. I think i'm getting closer to how I like it though. When i'm satisfied i'll start figuring out how to animate. >:]

Darien and Helm
Saving it as a gif killed one of the middle shades now that I look at it. I'll fix it up and then work more on the colors.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 10:34:00 am by MadToaster »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 12:41:37 am

hitler edit.

Offline MadToaster

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 01:33:49 am
hitler edit.

Hehe, thanks for taking the time to do that.  I really have a hard time with colors (been doing nothing but b/w line art for years) so it's neat to see the full treatment on a sprite I made. I'm gonna save it and use as reference.