Poll

On a scale from 1 to 10 stars, with 10 being the best, how do you rate MS Paint?

AuthorTopic: MS Paint Poll  (Read 60927 times)

Offline Gunne

• hello..
    • View Profile

Re: MS Paint Poll

Reply #80 on: November 23, 2006, 02:11:30 pm
haha, I forgot about the preview window :P! Yes, I have found it back! ×10 zoom, so 8 isn't the maximum?
in the shadows, lurking.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #81 on: November 23, 2006, 02:16:34 pm
ah... that's better... back on track again :)
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Reply #82 on: November 23, 2006, 03:42:15 pm
You can also create "custom brushes" in Paint simply by drawing something, selecting it, and holding shift before to start to drag it around (got to make sure you have the selection on the bottom setting, the one with transparency).

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #83 on: November 23, 2006, 04:00:20 pm
Yeh all these conveniently hidden features might as well be bugs and they are rather unintuitive I have to say. RECHOICE!
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #84 on: November 23, 2006, 05:42:28 pm
The tormentor strikes your back with the savage cat o' nine tails. It pireces skin, tendon, scars bone. You are in unrelenting agony. Next strike fails, then the next. Suddenly, the whipping almost inexplicably, just once, hits a pleasure receptive in the flesh, your torment brightened for a glimpse of a second.

Having known no other life than in that cell, you grow fond of the random blessings of the whip :)

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #85 on: November 23, 2006, 05:59:38 pm
Ah... another "Story of O" fan...  ever been to Torture Garden helm?  :lol:

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #86 on: November 23, 2006, 07:46:55 pm
not much that hasnt already been said, although david your point about the pencil falls far short of its percieved purpose, because of course the two tools are intended for entirely different purposes and have little or nothing in common, save the loose connection of being able to create an image.  what it comes out to in the end is poorly thought out sarcasm that adds nothing to the discussion, save that it makes you look like an ignorant little troll that wants to impress people with the pretense of righteousness wrapped around in a healthy dose of snideness, which i know you aren't, so it would be in the best interest of you and everyone else if you would refrain from such nonsense, it's beneath you.

I gave paint a two, simply because of accessibility and the fact that you can adjust the palette (slowly,) zoom in (fairly) easily to the most commonly needed levels, and save as a variety of formats, albeit with incredible distortion.  by now there are many (many!) programs which are more suited to various goals, but also it should be kept in mind that paint has hardly changed with the times; it has hardly changed within my lifetime.  certainly it is better than claris works :P which used to come with most macs.  for those reasons, it is not quite the lowest, but there are quite obviously programs which are better suited to a wide variety of work.

my two cents on UI - the plainer the better in my opinion, although it must be accessable and always visible.  tabs and dropdowns (except for the left-click menus) are hardly a blessing to me.  hotkeys are a must-have, and in the perfect program there should be a user-defined hotkey for every possible action, or at least, one to begin the action (for the more complex filters used by GD's, DP's, RT's, and others)  Two screens or a screen that shifts with the mouse only leads to visual confusion and disorientation.  my desires are hardly the norm, but thats what works for me.  photoshop cs, i love you so, to hell with cs2.......
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 07:53:33 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #87 on: November 23, 2006, 08:21:31 pm
Because really, my dad is stronger than yours >:0
I kid, I kid,

I'm stronger than both your dad and my dad. :D

Anyway, random facts about the program:
MS paint used to have this trick where you could add transparency by choosing a background color or something (I forgot how to, but there was a way) but back then it didnt support .png, so when saving as .gif it would fuck up your palette anyway.
It is filled with random hidden features, like x10 zoom and x4 zoom and preview window.
But they are so obscure it's useless (and you have to click here and there for finding them, which is rather unconvinient).
And I believe the strength of a program is having more features to aid you in whatever field, and not having them hidden as if they were game easter eggs.

i use to know how to get the preview window, but have forgotten. care to tell?

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #88 on: November 23, 2006, 08:29:18 pm
While your canvas is zoomed, View > Zoom > Show miniature or preview (or something like that) if I recall correctly :0

Offline Gunne

• hello..
    • View Profile

Reply #89 on: November 23, 2006, 08:30:34 pm
I've the dutch version so I don't know what its all called in English, but in the uppermenu go to Image, then Zoom In/Out and translated from dutch the next step is simply click show miniature. but I believe you have to be zoomed in to activate it!

haha, Panda beat me to it :P
in the shadows, lurking.