Poll

On a scale from 1 to 10 stars, with 10 being the best, how do you rate MS Paint?

AuthorTopic: MS Paint Poll  (Read 60912 times)

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Re: MS Paint Poll

Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 04:54:22 pm
sven... perhaps it would be best if those reticent to get into the mighty promotion should start with one of the older versions? say... version 1 for example then work up from there... I have to admit it can be daunting at first - but it seriously PISSES all over MSPAINT from a dizzy height... and I'm talking like as high as the moon.

I know what it's like to 'migrate' from something we're used to using - I've said this before on these boards - but when I moved from Dpaint to promotion back when it was first released I did it kicking and screaming... I hated it at first, but stick with it... it becomes second nature... the only reason I reacted badly to it initially was because Jan (zimmerman) did 'something' with the shortcuts (he was attempting to a windows version of dpaint) - which is why I was initially attracted to it in the first place... but, those DAMN shortcuts... but I got used to em... besides... in the latest version you can define your own anyway...

MS PAINT has it's benefits for those who are interested in pixeling... but as soon as you go beyond interest and into the hobby arena then you seriously should consider changing over to it... (or GGale if that's what you fancy)

l8rs

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 04:59:11 pm
Well i went from paint shop pro 6 to promotion 4.7 and I only found it slightly odd for about 1 week of using it, it has a good manual as well. People should just learn how to read manuals and not ask stupid questions without thinking a bit beforehand.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 05:01:20 pm
MS Paint is for ignorant lazy people.

Offline SolidIdea

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 05:05:04 pm
3, because the pallete management utterly sucks.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 05:22:17 pm
Not gonna say much, or else I'll get me' balls bitten off by the hounds. I use M.S. Paint for pixel art. I now have photoshop, but I don't really like using it for pixel art, Ironically because I FIND IT SLOW AND CLUNKY. But that may be because it's still pretty new to me...I'm still a learnin' though...Oh I put 10 by the way...
my back hurts...

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #15 on: November 16, 2006, 06:32:10 pm
Not gonna say much, or else I'll get me' balls bitten off by the hounds. I use M.S. Paint for pixel art. I now have photoshop, but I don't really like using it for pixel art, Ironically because I FIND IT SLOW AND CLUNKY. But that may be because it's still pretty new to me...I'm still a learnin' though...Oh I put 10 by the way...

pshop is slow and clunky for direct to screen pixel art that's why... ;) - if you like MS Paint fair enough... I like sketching with  BIC pens during my life class and it drives the tutor nuts - but I don't give a shit co I like it and I'm allowed to have opinions cos I'm old enough and wise enough to think for myself - (when I was 16 and at college in the 80's i'd have cracked under the strain of the tutor's advice... but now... I don't care) - so - fair play to you for admitting it... you're a brave soul... and judging some of the work I've seen you make in the past I'm quite impressed.

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 09:46:20 pm
I don't pixel for a living, I don't animate usually, so MS Paint does the stuff I need it to do. If I ever need something that requires layers, multiple files, better palette control (eyedropper may be slow to most, but it's pretty smooth going for me) and shortcuts, then I'll look into Pro Motion.

It still does lack the ability to make transparency, so I knocked it down to an 8.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 10:05:04 pm
gave it a seven, while I dont deny its limitations, I dont think its that terrible a program, its been around for a long time and everyone has it.
at the moment I use a combination of mspaint, photoshop and image ready when Im animating.. which I dont really recommend, I plan on learning promotion now that I have a ton of freetime, but I still think while paint has its limitations, its a decent program, especially for pixelling

technique over technology
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 10:44:03 pm
Paint has everything I need and nothing I don't.

I want it explained to me how using a program that apparently has no time or effort saving features makes one lazy.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #19 on: November 16, 2006, 10:49:24 pm
Gave it a five.

Obviously there are a multitude of things which are poorly designed in the program:  odd palette management, practically no shortcut keys, can't save to GIF properly, no animation, etc.  However, there are a few things that I really like about it.  I like the one window interface, something I don't see in PM or GG (unless someone who is proficient in these programs has somehing to say otherwise).  The ability to resize the canvas fluidly and not be prompted before making anything is great.  It's more of what snake said.  I like that I can just open it up over other programs and sketch without having to undergo some nonsense like a loading screen or an option window. 

There is one thing to be said for it, and that is this: it helps keep the pixel art community alive by making an art program accessible to practically anybody.  It's not great on the technical side, but it's there for anyone to pick up.