AuthorTopic: please help me with the shading of the body!! i am clueless!!  (Read 5778 times)

Offline Melodee

• omg
    • jarajaramelon
    • beardedgrandma
    • Jara de Nooijer
    • View Profile

Re: please help me with the shading of the body!! i am clueless!!

Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 10:09:53 pm
yes i meana the flaps. also here is what i tried so far:

i have worked on this for a while but i don't feel like it's as good as your edit yet sadly. i would like to know your opinions though.

right now i am trying the fur like this image:
https://orig00.deviantart.net/7795/f/2015/051/0/2/fluffy_alpaca_pixel__by_tinybunnie-d8iv0fv.png
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 10:34:00 pm by Melodee »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 10:41:03 pm
Hm, it's definitely a start, but I reccomend you look at some artistic and photo examples of fur to better understand how they "clump" together

Here, I've pulled a couple of examples and guides off google for you:

as sen above, a good practice method for new materials is to draw simple 3d shapes of that material. So, cones and cubes and spheres of fur or brick or ice or what have you.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Melodee

• omg
    • jarajaramelon
    • beardedgrandma
    • Jara de Nooijer
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 11:06:23 pm
hmm well the difficult part for me to see what to do is because it isn't connected to anything, like it's simply a ball of fur with no body XDD i know it sounds stupid but it's hard for me to see. i can try making something like this as a practice tho but i tried drawing a cone once for exersice and then moving on to another thing that had a cone shape, but it only made me more confused. sorry for being so difficult.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 11:12:27 pm
It's gonna be confusing at first. Hesitance is the enemy and motivation is fleeting, it's gonna require more than a bit of discipline sometimes to make it through these strange practice stages.

Keep on it though, you'll get better the more you try!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 11:52:04 pm
What's your light source? Try to always keep a specific light source in mind when you colour, as that makes it much easier to figure out where to put the shadows/highlights and what their shapes should be. Every shadow is an area where the surface faces away from the light.

Offline Zanorin

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/177874.htm
    • BasmatiPixel
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 12:00:51 am
right now i am trying the fur like this image:
https://orig00.deviantart.net/7795/f/2015/051/0/2/fluffy_alpaca_pixel__by_tinybunnie-d8iv0fv.png
If I look at that reference image, the fur is not the usual, straight-ish fur that we were discussing earlier, this is big, curly, fluffy fur. On your latest version it seems that you tried doing that, but also while adding straight "tuffs" of fur. That creates a weird look imho.

If you want big'n'curly, then go for it, but I think in that case you should lose the straight tuffs, and make the sides a bit curly too.
I made two small edits where I tried doing some curly fur, I'm not at all satisfied with the result because it looks like chewing-gum, but here they are anyway, in case someone wants to reedit them to show what not to do or something.
(This one I did just a small patch of small curls as a demo, I didn't do the whole thing)
Half a noob figuring out stuff.

Offline eriophora

• pixel herder
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 02:36:55 am
Aaa yes I see!! I was considering to do this, but just thought I wouldn’t manage to make it look as good. I felt kinda bad for not doing it myself but also liked your edit too much to just drop it :( I agree with the other guy tho, his edit might be really realistic and 3D looking, but it doesn’t really fit the image XDD yours really matches with the style I am going for. Anyway, I am going to try. Also, did I do well with the other remaining fur?

Whether or not you think that someone else's work is better than yours has no bearing; to take someone's edit and claim it as your own work is plagiarism, just like they teach you in English class when you're writing an essay. Obviously no harm was meant here, but keep in mind how you'd feel if someone took your own work to claim it as theirs. It's just not a nice thing to do.

Anyway!

Try applying the ideas for the balls of fur in the references linked above to the individual tufts on your creature. Consider the tufts independently rather than thinking about overall texture. Think about how light will fall on each tuft, and shade according to that. The only way to get better at visualizing is to just keep trying and seeing what works well!

Offline Melodee

• omg
    • jarajaramelon
    • beardedgrandma
    • Jara de Nooijer
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 10:21:06 am
i wasn't really claiming it as my own, i just said i added the remaining fur (flaps) .__. i maybe should have clarified this more.

anyway I did this so far
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 01:32:39 pm by Melodee »