AuthorTopic: Forest Mockup  (Read 2468 times)

Offline WatCow

• View Profile

Forest Mockup

on: January 16, 2018, 03:14:19 am
Hello! I am working on a side scrolling RPG with some friends and I would love some feedback on this forest scene. This is a mockup that has some of the assets that will be used for the forest level. I would like to improve on the color choice and the tree design.

Offline TEETH

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/77463.htm
    • candyballad.tumblr.com
    • View Profile
    • My Game Progress Site

Re: Forest Mockup

Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 03:42:21 am
Will the game window be this small? I'd suggest hue shifting the colors for easier readability. Right now your palette is too much of the same hue of green.

Your tree and tent have opposite light sources which makes it look unnatural since there's probably only one light source (the sun). Your tree design is quite nice. I'd suggest adding some shadows on the trunk under the leaves. One last thing I'd look at is the folds on your tent. A good start! ;D

Offline WatCow

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 04:44:16 am
Thank you!

Will the game window be this small?
Yes, the game is for a class and its a constraint we are working within, so I'm trying to keep everything within a certain size

I've added more yellow in the tent colors and tried a new design for the folds, and brightened up the foreground a decent bit. In terms of backgrounds for games is it good to desaturate it to have contrast with the characters? I've added a character and enemy (both WIP) with a lot of greens and browns to illustrate the problem

Offline LukasIrzl

• lukasirzl
    • View Profile
    • Lukas Irzl

Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 09:39:12 am
I like the colors actually. You could try to add more shadow at the top of the wood texture of the tree under the leaves. May give a little bit more depth. The right side of the tree could use a little bit more shadows in my opinion.
The tree character looks fine to me. Reminds me a bit of a character I drew a few months ago (it was a boss in a forest).
The other character is pretty nice as well.

Offline WatCow

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 02:16:43 am
I've changed the colors to lighten up the whole background and make the tent contrast more with the trees and bushes. I've also covered up more of the tree branches with the leaves to make it look more appealing, as well as adding shading underneath the leaves