AuthorTopic: Fire mage  (Read 4736 times)

Offline eriophora

• pixel herder
    • View Profile

Re: Fire mage

Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 08:26:58 pm
Looks great! If anything, I might recommend considering a more dynamic pose. I get a circus vibe from the colours and costume, and that's something that can really be brought forward in the mage's post. Quick edit with one idea here:

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 11:19:42 pm
I'd disagree with that, honestly. The current pose could be pushed a bit more sure, but that change loses the stiff, almost militant air about them in favor of a far more aloof look that might not fit the design as well.

I imagine fire magic would take a lot of strict discipline to keep all that power from literally exploding in your face

Blue flames do work as a concept there though, since those tend to burn hotter
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline rengowrath

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 07:21:19 am
I'm back with some more work! Here's the design I ended up going with:

I think the red pants keeps the color temperature where I want.  I've also done some work on animations!

Any feedback is appreciated, but I'm mainly interested in addressing these points:

1. At this resolution, adding ambient motion to the idle for breathing looks bad because it causes way too much movement.  I think I need to convey some kind of sub pixel movement, but how do you make that look good?

2. The coat looks stiff in the run cycle.  It's supposed to be pretty heavy so I don't think it should be fluttering a lot, but I'm not sure what it really should do. 

Thanks!

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 03:07:22 pm
Try a gentle billowing movement! Rather than flailing wildly, treat it more as a gentle bobbing cloth.

Also instead of a breathing motion you could try emphasizing rigidity and discipline by having only the clothing move for the idle. For example, some subtle flutter on the edges of the coat.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |