AuthorTopic: Mermaid help please  (Read 3431 times)

Offline menijna

• i cant draw
    • View Profile

Mermaid help please

on: January 08, 2018, 09:24:17 pm

Hello guys.
I am a total beginner in pixel art, and i hope i can get better. I've seen some tutorials on youtube, and im working in asperite. Can you please recommend me some courses (other than the list on forum) and mark my mistakes, or suggest how can i improve the picture? Thanks for your time.
I'm working in asperite.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Mermaid help please

Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 12:18:37 am
as someone who hard-specc'd into pixelart before learning to draw properly:

LEARN NORMAL ART FIRST.
pixel art is essentially regular art with extra precise quirks and methods, and you'll stand to gain significantly from more standard areas of learning.

most people reccomend the andrew loomis guides for learning to draw, but theres also folks like prokos on youtube for those who need a more interactive learning aid
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Zanorin

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/177874.htm
    • BasmatiPixel
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 01:00:52 am
Welcome to the forum :) (I don't know if it's appropriate since I'm a noob as well but hey)

Your picture is pretty nice, especially considering you're beginning. Here are some areas you could work on to improve it :

- There are some anatomy issues with your mermaid : I'd make her waist less square and a bit hourglass-shaped, give her some feminine curves ; I'd make her "thighs" a bit longer so that it looks like her "tail fold" (errr...) is where her knees would be if she had legs, I don't know if you get what I mean. Don't hesitate to sketch your character on paper before going full pixel art.

- The animation isn't bad but looks a bit choppy. You could add some intermediate frames to make it smoother.

- The color count is super high (over 50), you have a lot of different shades of blue. You could easily make it work as well while reducing the number of colors. For example, the dark blue used for her eyelashes, you can re-use it for the shaded part of her tail. Always re-use an existing color instead of using a different one that's almost the same. Also, try not placing random single pixels as much, it makes your image look noisy.

- I love how you made her tail and the fish's tail see-through. I would give her mermaid tail a bit more depth by adding a slight color while keeping it see-through.

Real quick edit, with fewer colors, a bit more contrast, fixed her silhouette a bit, and the thing about her knees

Can you please recommend me some courses (other than the list on forum)
Since you've already learned some of the basics, once you feel a bit more comfortable I'd recommend this website (didn't see it on the list, if I just missed it then my bad), it covers some more "advanced" techniques that I found were of great help.

(Sorry about the long post)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 03:59:09 am by Zanorin »
Half a noob figuring out stuff.

Offline menijna

• i cant draw
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 01:54:35 am
Thank you Zanorin for this wholesome comment. You are a great help. I will take your advices and do mermaid2.0 tomorrow with your guidelines.
What program do you use btw?

Offline Zanorin

• BasmatiPixel
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 02:04:52 am
You're welcome :) please post mermaid 2.0 here when you're done with it !
I've always used Gimp, I don't know if it's the most appropriate but for me it works very nicely for everything including animation (and it's even open source  :y: :y: ).

Offline menijna

• i cant draw
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 12:49:29 am

Since i had an exam today i didnt have time to re-do first mermaid. Also i decided to lean more into 8-bit-like style of animation. Before i move on with swimming, bubbles etc... how the heck do i make her tail animation look less chunky? I've tried to blur it out a little in various forms, and i still have no idea how to do it properly. Any suggestions perhaps? Thanks in advance

Offline Zanorin

• BasmatiPixel
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 01:09:26 am
Try speeding up the animation just a little. I really like the way the tail wobbles, maybe it just needs to be sped up a bit. What you could change is the tail finn itself, it looks too static because there's zero animation on it.

Also, the anti-aliasing you used on the tail's outline looks nice, why not use anti-aliasing on the rest of the sprite (eg. the arms) ? ( <-- that's a personal opinion though.)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 01:13:39 am by Zanorin »

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 01:26:14 am
More change in between frames, slightly faster.

Offline menijna

• i cant draw
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 01:27:59 am
thanks guys! i'll redo her tomorrow. Change between the frames = different duration in miliseconds? (english is not my first language and it is also possible that im stupid)

Offline Zanorin

• BasmatiPixel
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 02:31:21 am
More change between the frames = he changed some pixels on each frame to make the tail motion wider. And he also reduced the duration of each frame in milliseconds.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 04:24:34 pm by Zanorin »