AuthorTopic: Character design for my game  (Read 4471 times)

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

Character design for my game

on: January 04, 2018, 06:07:56 am
Hello folks,

i am new to pixelation community and also quite new to pixel-art. I have been trying to create a character for my game but somehow it feels very dull(Also i try to stick with only 2 shades of each colour). I'll really appreciate it if you guys could tell me how can i improve my art?

Thanks for your time!

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Re: Character design for my game

Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 02:24:55 pm
I am not in a position to teach anything about pixel art  ;D but I think you should start by increasing contrast so that your shading pop out. Take at some well established pixel art palettes and try to understand why the designer kept such distances between each shade. The fact that you decided to have blue hair under a blue hood also asks for more contrast between the two materials. This is just a recolor with a slightly modified eroge cooper palette:

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 04:51:36 pm
Thanks Vinik! Actually i wasn't sure about my palette at all. That is something i need to get better definitely. Thanks for pointing that out and for your edit! :)

Offline Roccstar1oh1

• https://roccstar1oh1.deviantart.com/
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 05:18:26 pm
Hello there, I really like your character.

One other thing you could try is a slight hue shifting for your shading as well as lowering the value. I usually try and shift towards warmer (red) colors for my shadows and cooler (blue) colors for my highlights. This is by no means a rule or anything, but I find that it adds a bit of contrast as well. I also like my shading to be slightly more saturated and highlights to be less saturated.

I am still learning pixel art and palette/color selection as well.
Best of luck in your pixel journey :)

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 06:05:42 pm
Thanks for the feedback Roccstar1oh1!

I've updated my palette and did some tiny changes. Still can't figure what kind of details should i be adding though. :/

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 01:49:07 am
I've just made an animation for running. Still working on it! Any feedback is welcome. :)

Offline Zanorin

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/177874.htm
    • BasmatiPixel
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 10:35:32 pm
I really like it, especially how the hair moves, and the animation is smooth :) two things bother me after looking at it for a while :
- The bottom of her skirt never moves, she bobs up and down but the skirt remains at the same level.
- Her chest looks kind of "manly", like she's really muscly XD I would try and tone it down a little.
One last thing (which isn't really a thing) : where did her socks go ? I loved her socks :'(
Half a noob figuring out stuff.

Offline DTE462

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 12:20:45 am
From the still of her holding the book it looks like her shoes shrink a little while running. But it looks great overall though.

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 12:32:27 am
Thanks for the feedback Zanorin! Since there aren't many pixels to work on legs, i've decided the nevermind the socks, sorry about that. :D

Thanks DTE462!

I've made some changes for skirt, her chest and shading a bit. Here is the new one!

Offline Zanorin

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/177874.htm
    • BasmatiPixel
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 01:14:25 am
We can't see it :(

Edit: The skirt is much better. I would lose another row of pixels for the chest on the frames when her head turns a bit:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 01:32:04 am by Zanorin »
Half a noob figuring out stuff.