AuthorTopic: Here goes a 16x32(ish) 8 directions character  (Read 10826 times)

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Here goes a 16x32(ish) 8 directions character

on: January 03, 2018, 03:07:14 am
Hello everyone, I did this quite quickly during new year's eve, trying to learn more about 8 direction top-down character sprites, and I would thank any help you could give, as usual.

I know the animation is primitive at only 3 frames per walk cycle/direction, and that I am using idle as the frame between each step, but I figured it would be pointless to make more frames before getting the shape right. I have very inconsistent arms and feet size, mostly because I was aiming for a more elastic form with limbs which seem to grow when closer to view, not unlike what I tried with this 16x16 guy before, although I feel I failed a lot more as the size and extra directions demanded more detail in comparison:

Mostly I would like any tips on how to maintain the consistency of the shape of the same character when it is turned at diagonal angles, and would thank you a lot for good references on which 8 directional game sprites you think I should study, besides the snes mario rpg and the other M&L rpg games for gba and DS.

As usual, thank you all in advance.

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Re: Here goes a 16x32(ish) 8 directions character

Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 03:00:47 pm
Advancing a little bit, I increased the size of the feet in the idle poses, while still keeping 1px smaller than the walking poses. Removed the helmet so I can animate the hair later when jumping and falling etc:

I am not sure about using the red as shaded skin, neither as to how to address the banding on face outlines without changing it a lot on how large it seems to be. On the diagonal direction sprites I always feel like I need to increase the width of the hair and and the idle legs by half a pixel , two is too thin, three is to wide, except when the legs are at an angle on walking poses  :(
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 03:02:36 pm by Vinik »

Offline Xand0r

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 03:03:30 pm
I like him! I agree that something about the arms is off. I think it's most apparent in the diagonal up sprites. Both of the arms in those 2 sprites are the brightest skin tone. Maybe add more shading to them.

Where is the light source? If the light source is in front of the character, then the leading leg during the walk should be the darker colour, and the trailing leg should be lighter. This is because his body would cast a shadow on the lead leg and the trailing leg would be free of shadows and exposed to the light source.

I think just making the light source more consistent would improve things a lot.

But I like the simplicity of him. His "elasticity" reminds me a bit of Alex Kidd. :)

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 03:15:02 pm
Urgh, you are right the light on legs is completely reversed and really I didn't noticed it, thank you. I already shaded the diagonal arms, but the length is still off in many parts.

As for references on 8 direction walk cycles, I am now looking at boktai (which I just discovered on a feature chest thread)  and mega man battle sprites, I would really like some more if anyone can point me to good ones.

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 04:45:28 am
OK, this was fun but tiresome. Jumping/falling sprites WIP, only 8 more poses to go. I will export as gif tomorrow morning.

I also cleaned up some mistakes, hopefully have consistent light on all legs, made the badge on the chest yellow regardless of angle and improved some of the arm's shading. I am getting happy with this, but would surely appreciate any critics :)

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 04:53:18 pm
Done! I think this is as far as instinct alone will lead me. I need proper study on how to rotate 3d-lke objects and keep right lengths.
I would really, really like critique on errors which I could improve on.
Animation:

Sheet: