AuthorTopic: Shading Help  (Read 3834 times)

Offline PixelJohn

• View Profile

Shading Help

on: December 23, 2017, 03:44:15 am
Hello Guys! How are you? D

Well, I started pixel art this week and after reading and watching some tutorials found through internet, I started a week challenge where the goal was put the shading lessons in practice. But I think I'm doing something wrong because my work looks so weird, even after reading the tutorials several times!

Also there are some questions that I'm in doubt:
-When i'm working with a small palette i always must do dithering to blend the colors?
- is there a problem when i do not follow the object shape when adding another color of the gradient that i'm using for the shading?

Also I must explain that I tried to pick colors by using HUE anolog colors or changing the value of lighting and saturation (like changing the saturation value 20 by 20 "points" for example). And I'm using circle to practice because it's an easy way to think in shading. I'll work with other shapes in the future

Offline tecnologgamer

• View Profile

Re: Shading Help

Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 01:24:17 pm
Hello!

My studies with pixel art start last week too, but what I can see you take way with shading. The big red round who you did is using the pixel quite good for shading. I think the other are weird because the pixels fits without enters in other lights espace.

But in general. Is quite good!

Offline tecnologgamer

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 01:25:22 pm
I noticed you speak portuguese too. Are you from Brazil?

Offline Hunited

• Post-ironic is the new authentic.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 04:59:24 pm
Try uploading images at 100% resolution, where one pixel in the image equals on image on the screen, the forum has a built-in enlarging tool and it is difficult to say anything about this at this size.

Offline PixelJohn

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 11:28:55 pm
Try uploading images at 100% resolution, where one pixel in the image equals on image on the screen, the forum has a built-in enlarging tool and it is difficult to say anything about this at this size.

I really dont know how to do this in GIMP, so i'm re-uploading all the imagens with the size of the canvas. I guess that this could solve the problem. Thanks for reply! and have a nice holyday! :)

I noticed you speak portuguese too. Are you from Brazil?

Thanks for reply! that makes me feel a little more confortable!  and yes, i'm brazilean. Could I get you contact? by this way we can study together! Have a nice holiday :)

Offline Hunited

• Post-ironic is the new authentic.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 06:59:37 pm
Okay so, ignoring the colours for now, the first thing that pops up is the fact that the shadows are not exactly round. If these are spheres, the shadows should rond off, always (I think always, but just stick with always for now).The best one in my opinion is the purple one with the light coming from the top-right, but the reflected lighting on the bottom is too bright and it shouldn't contrast that harshly with the darkest area.

Try looking at references of shaded spheres.

Also, what is it exactly that you are trying to learn from doing this, the goal is not really clear. Try looking at works from other artists you admire and try to recognise the techniques they use.

Offline Mysli

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 11:06:58 pm
I have used GIMP for pixel art a bit, and to my knowledge best way to post pics you have made is this: press R-key and select your pic you want to share, press Ctrl(Command on Mac) + C-key to copy your selection. then press Ctrl(Command on Mac) + shift + V-key to create new image from your selection. then simply export your image.

Make sure you do pixel art in 1:1 ratio (one pixel is one pixel in your image).

Also, I highly recommend getting pyxel edit. It's only 9 bucks and It really speeds up your learning. :)
Just a kid who wants to make games for living <3

Offline PixelJohn

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 01:31:51 am
Okay so, ignoring the colours for now, the first thing that pops up is the fact that the shadows are not exactly round. If these are spheres, the shadows should rond off, always (I think always, but just stick with always for now).The best one in my opinion is the purple one with the light coming from the top-right, but the reflected lighting on the bottom is too bright and it shouldn't contrast that harshly with the darkest area.

Try looking at references of shaded spheres.

Also, what is it exactly that you are trying to learn from doing this, the goal is not really clear. Try looking at works from other artists you admire and try to recognise the techniques they use.

Thanks for reply! I was in doubt about if the "shape of shadding" must be always following the object shape, but i think you answered me :)
I chose a sphere because i wanted to practice the basic fundaments of shadding from the tutorials I read, but i'll switch for another object soon.

I have used GIMP for pixel art a bit, and to my knowledge best way to post pics you have made is this: press R-key and select your pic you want to share, press Ctrl(Command on Mac) + C-key to copy your selection. then press Ctrl(Command on Mac) + shift + V-key to create new image from your selection. then simply export your image.

Make sure you do pixel art in 1:1 ratio (one pixel is one pixel in your image).

Also, I highly recommend getting pyxel edit. It's only 9 bucks and It really speeds up your learning. :)
:) :) thanks a lot! For me is really easy to get lost in gimp. There are so many options hehehe. I'll look for about pyxel edit soon!