AuthorTopic: Tile work[update: BUSH]  (Read 7058 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Tile work[update: BUSH]

on: November 13, 2006, 02:54:19 am
aswell as my first paid pixel job!
for the project im entitled all of the tile and sprite work, unless i want to give up any of it :P
right now i have a tileset that needs to be done pretty soon, but i dont want to do it and not get any crits, and leave the tile set without the opportunity to be better.
here are the tiles
http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/6206/tileworklm5.png
and here they are assembled:

i have two versions of the tree, id like to get some opinions on which one you like better.
thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 11:45:09 pm by Ryumaru »

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Re: Tile work

Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 03:05:34 am
Stunning tiling, Ryu. Congratulations on your first job! To answer your question, if I understand it, I prefer the right tree, of the two in the corner. It has better atmosphere due to contrast.

I can't wait to see a mockup, if it is alloud.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 03:24:37 am
I loooooove how you made that rockpile, and the steps have me in awe too, honestly I belive the texturing on the treebarks is ace but they lack volume.

MAN, I havent done anything like that in all the time I've been here, you kids are leaving me behind! I better get up and do something!

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 06:46:54 am
The road thing owns, i love it. The rock is also amazing.

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 08:46:21 pm
congrats on the job ryu, always nice to see a pix member getting paid for years of effort

i do have a few concerns about the tiles thoug, made a quick edit to illustrate some points:

The tree:

- Palette: You chose a very bold palette, personally, i don't think it works too well. It doesn't really match the soft lightning the rockformations suggest, also, the relatively high sat blue, combined w. low sat green, grey/brown and dark blue looks kinda odd (though i guess im pretty conservative on those issues). On the edit i replaced the green and blues by two shades of pure grey (that look brownish combined with the dark blue/purple), defenitly more boring but also much less confusing if you ask me, also, with a starting point like this, it's easier to spice up by editing some colors. I dunno if you intented it too look a bit mossy and weathered with the green, if that's the case i suggest you define areas w. moss more, and mayby add slightly different texture

- Contrast: This is not as much of an issue on the standing trees as it is on the one laying down, but i think it's too evenly shaded. There should be a more distinct definition of shadowed parts/ lighted parts

- Definition: I think you could define texture just a tad more, the very harsh vertical lining doesnøt match the smooth stones

The rocks:

- Colors: Abs. love 'em, smooth and eyepleasing :y:, did minor changes on the edit, since the grey and purple are pretty much identical in contrast, i darkened the grey and brightned the purple, so they can be utilized more effectively. If tou don't care about saving color though, it doesn't matter much- the colors you chose works very well

- Definition: I really think you've got a problem here espec. on the left side- i've got no clue what's going on, seems to me you didn't define it enough before moving on to more elaborate shading. Also, there's some very strange black inner lining going on on the right side. Some of the places it replaces highlighting wich i really don't get, other places it's used as outline, and looks really harsh - should be replaced by a brighter color. The edit is prob. too conservative and doesn't preservere the original smoothness, never the less, i think you should think more about the stucture of the rock when shading it.

That's about it, again, congrats on the job and good luck with it, ohh and i prefer the right tree over the left because of the greater contrast

EDIT: Ohh yea, i accidently f. up the colors on the unchanged parts of the edit so they aren't representative
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 09:32:42 pm by vedsten »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 12:00:08 am
godslayer: thanks man! i have full rights to the images, so a mockup or a screenshot will definitely be shown at the end.
conceit(can i call you camus? its just much easier :P) thanks, means alot! the lack of depth is actually a concern that stoven addresssed to me and the other tree was me trying to address it.
ZoSo: thanks, glad you like it.
vedsten: thanks for the crit man! in the following update, i tried to address some of your crits. thanks for the congrats, although i havent even been pixeling long enough to have the plural form of years*blush*. itll be two in january though! some of your pallette concers were left because my client( i feel grown up saying that :P) wants some pretty unconventional pallettes.

sadly, i must leave most of these tiles here alone. i have much more things to do now, but if im stuck i will surely post for help!

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 10:04:34 pm
great update ryu, i really think you address the issues well. I guess you could tighten up the definition on the stones a tad more, and you kinda lost the lightsource shading the right sides and left sides of the rock the same tone. Also you might wanna change the standing to match the one laying down. Never the less, i relly believe this is an improvement, both rocks and tree work very well and you can move on w. good conscience   ::)

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 11:52:58 am
The trees and rockpile look great. :y: 
I find the highlights on the stone path to be a bit weird though (considering the perspective). If you'd flip it vertically I think it'd look more "correct".

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 12:29:34 pm
Nice job ryu;

Junk got the crit i was going to give, my only other suggestions would be to vary the hues more.  It's very difficult to give any more advice when you don't have your base tiles drawn yet; this will have a huge impact on where you need to take the other objects in terms of color usage, value, and style.  Also, did the client provide you with a character? this is as important (if not more important) to a tileset as anything else, and will really impact the creation and use of the tiles.

Also, out of curiousity, how did you get a contract that didn't include an NDA?  just a lucky find?
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 01:07:16 pm
Who said anything about a contract?  :)

All my concerns were addressed by the other users, I'm waiting for a mockup to see how everything fits in. Nice work.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 01:12:45 pm by Frychiko »
Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins