AuthorTopic: Building for an RPG  (Read 2754 times)

Offline Siskan

• View Profile

Building for an RPG

on: December 21, 2017, 03:48:16 pm
Hello!

This one has kept me busy the last few days. I'd appreciate any kind of critique.

Offline Sammy

• View Profile

Re: Building for an RPG

Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 03:12:24 pm
It's a great work!
I'm new in pixel art, but I would say making the shadows darker will add more depth to your work.

Offline questseeker

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 05:54:10 pm
Assuming you are imitating the style of traditional Dutch city houses, as found e.g. in Amsterdam, the design of the building might be improved:
  • In the back, the roof should end against the red wall: lower it below the white decorations. Such ornamental elements either follow the roof shape (from the outside) or, like in your case, are applied on top of walls that cover the roof completely.
  • The flag shouldn't be aligned with the roof centerline. You might place two flags on the two pyramid-shaped ornaments near the top instead.
  • The front and the back of the house are not likely to be similar. The back should be less ornamented.
  • The iron ornaments should be on the ground floor only, at an easily reachable height, and presumably only left and right of the front door. What are they meant to be?
  • The red brick window borders are hard to distinguish from the plain wall between windows. What about white stone borders in the style of the main door border instead? If they turn out too heavy, you can switch to the simpler and very common window style of significantly thinner plain white wood frames.
  • You have good horizontal and vertical frames, but you use them only at the top of the building. Consider adding horizontal bars, between floors or in a denser horizontal stripe pattern, and more importantly vertical bars at the left and right edge of the building (windows would need to be narrower, or the body of the building wider).

Offline QueenSkadi

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 03:28:48 pm
Is it just me or does the door look a little weird? I mean I get what you are going for with the door having an angled pattern however for some reason my eyes keep seeing it as either looking down at an angled roof housed within the doorway or a sort of wall that is angled inwards, personally I think I would probably go with a straight pattern on the door or something that follows the profile of the archway however it could just be me viewing things weird. Also could be the shadow on the door giving a false impression

Other than that can't find too much to fault, looks good  :y: