AuthorTopic: Team Rocket Duo  (Read 3702 times)

Offline Aniki

• View Profile

Team Rocket Duo

on: December 17, 2017, 11:11:34 pm
This is meant to be a standalone picture of my self and girlfriend as team rocket characters. I'm eventually hoping to cross-stitch this piece and give it to her as a gift, which means I'm committed to this and looking for as much criticism as i can get.

Right now I'm a bit stuck on the colors. I want to keep the color count low (which im aware im failing at with "blue") and I also wanted to give us each a red/blue tint. That being said I'm not too happy with the colors in general, so I think I'd like to most help there.

I'm always noticing weird things that will bug me forever if I don't fix them now- so please let me know of anything that looks even slightly off. Thanks in advance  :)

Offline SlimEddie

• View Profile

Re: Team Rocket Duo

Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 06:37:35 pm
The left one other than boobs doesn't feel like a girl if you know what I mean. Body type itself is boy like and her second arm is in the weird location ;)

Offline Melodee

• omg
    • jarajaramelon
    • beardedgrandma
    • Jara de Nooijer
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 07:48:17 pm
are you sure it's meant to be a girl?

Offline SlimEddie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 11:02:01 pm
well he did say that it is a picture of himself and girlfriend so I assumed characters should be male and female too D:

Offline Aniki

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 09:37:06 pm
Hah, yes she is a girl- though I wouldn't say she is the most feminine looking person that I know. People will often point out that we are very similar looking... That being said she is very clearly a girl in real life, any advice on how I might subtly change her shape to make her look more feminine?

Here's where I am at so far:

Also, I know the pose is a bit weird. I'm basing it off of this character.

She's supposed to be making an "R" with her body.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 09:56:38 pm by Aniki »

Offline SlimEddie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 02:28:04 pm
Some times in art you gotta exaggerate some things to make it feel right, give her more of them titsies and maybe I would change something about eyebrows :D but that's just me

Offline Siskan

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 03:58:47 pm
I don't think it's the breasts that need to be altered to make her look feminine, I'd focus on those thick calves (and the boyish haircut unless she has one for real). In any case I think the biggest issue right now is rather how twisted the body is. The upper body is pointing to the left while the legs point are facing a bit too much towards the viewer. The shoulder also hasn't followed the body in the turn. Consider giving that vest a bit of a sleeve too like in your reference.

Also I'd give the left foot (to the right) a black outline on the shadow side to avoid making the shadow look like an extension to the foot.

Offline Aniki

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 10:44:19 pm
Okay, been working on it a bit more. Trying to get her to look more like a girl.

I widened her hips, reduced her shoulder width, smoothed out and slightly reshaped her legs, and changed her color scheme to a more feminine color (which is kind of cheating I admit :lol:)

I'm not too happy with her right leg (our left) and I feel like there's more I can do to make her face look more feminine. I tried making it more slender but there's not a lot to work with

Offline Aniki

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 05:26:42 am
Okay, I think I've figured it out a bit better. Maybe I've been looking at this image too long, but for the first time I feel like its clear that she is a girl from first glance:

The real change I found was putting that last 2 skin tone pixels right at the upper left corner of her eye on the left. It made her forehead look bigger and by extension narrowed her face. Without that pixel her face looks squished and flat.The flatness making it look more masculine, and the squished making it look bad.

Thanks for all the advice so far by the way! I've gotta wrap this project up soon but I'm still open to criticism for a few more days  :y:
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 06:35:23 am by Aniki »

Offline Hunited

• Post-ironic is the new authentic.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 06:55:34 pm
Hey, you're right, it actually does look like a girl now at first glance.

As for the rest, the red guy's looks kind of weird, like the mouth is really close to his eyes, also you might want to look at the (our) right leg of the girl, the way it seems to get a lot thinner suddenly is pretty weird, and there are some gnarly jaggies in there.