AuthorTopic: [WIP] Arm Anatomy  (Read 10591 times)

Offline Franky G

• View Profile

[WIP] Arm Anatomy

on: November 12, 2006, 10:52:21 am
Hello

This quite an old thread now. I felt best to update the original post since it has moved slightly off its original purpose.

This is a character that i've been working on for some time now. The original post was to concentrate specifically on the anatomy of the arms but since the original update on the arms, i've realised how bad my anatomy is and have tried an entire update. I am still very focused on the arms though as i still have huge difficulty in this area.

C+C appreciated as always

Thanks guys. I'll be updating this soon.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 11:08:56 am by Franky G »

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Arm Anatomy

Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 03:46:49 pm
I'll do an edit.  :)

Edit:

I did one of many posibilities for the arm. The shadings really good all you need is to clean up the lines. I screwed up on his skin and made it look like silly puddy.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 04:15:35 pm by VictorR »

Offline Franky G

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 09:44:16 am
Thanks for the edit Victor and for your advice. I think I've cleaned the lines up as much as possible for now. I also added some definition to his shoulder like in your edit.

Old vs Update

not to criticise, but i think the use of bright highlighting needs to be used sparingly. I tried for some time to add highlights to his lower arm and bicep but found it doesn't really work. I've stuck with a highlight on the shoulder for now. I might also consider removing other highlighting from the other parts of this guy later.

I think I'm happy with the forearm now. While I'm still uncertain it is correct, i think it'll do for the moment. If i don't receive any further crits soon, i think I'll consider the arm finished and move on to other parts.

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 12:56:39 pm
looks a whole lot better..its turniing out nicely

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 03:37:32 pm
Just out of curiosity, any reason you chose a cartoon sprite (with a smaller resolution) to use as an anatomical reference?

Not to jump on you, I've just found that artistic improvement (especially for anatomy) can be furthered more by life studies rather than imitating someone else's interpretation. It's a slippery slope to stylistic inbreeding (for examples, see most anime).

Offline ep

• View Profile
    • my deviantArt

Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 06:35:19 pm
I like the new version of it but I feel that it lost something from the original, where it looked more like a creature with the extended forearms and sharp elbow, I thought those characteristics worked with it, in particular with the beast-like look it has.

Offline Franky G

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 02:11:39 am
VictorR : Thanks.. i was dreadding this but I'm having fun now.  :y:

Big Brother : As for why i chose a cartoon reference as supposed to a real reference. Its a good point but i should explain, E. Honda's arm isn't my only reference on this. When it comes to pixel art, i guess I'm only interested in pixeling cartoon "capcom" style characters. While i have used numerous real references, I've only used them to make critical comparisons to the pixel art I'm referencing and the art I'm making. I also think that capcom characters are more simple in comparison: they only emphasize necessary areas to make character as appealing as possible which I think is an important skill which real art cant help as much with.

feel free to argue. I've never tried to work from a real reference!

ep : I think i know what you mean and I've spent some time thinking about this. I think the solution to this is easier than it seems. If i can clarify what you mean, the character is very toned and his arm is a little more, chunky than what he was previously equipped with which doesn't fit, i think the style of the arm is now totally different from the rest of this guy. As I'm going to be changing most of this guy to match this style, I'm hoping that this problem will go away. Let me know if I've missed the point.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 02:24:38 am
If all you want to do is capcom-style sprites, then yes, keep looking at them. Though it's not my place to comment as I do, I think that's a bit of a waste of talent and effort, though. But they're yours to do as you like.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 02:46:08 am
either way theres worse refrences than that little arm hes got there.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 11:27:35 am
http://www.reybustos.com/03ra/Quantae_mx.htm
http://www.artnatomia.net/uk/index.html (this one's a bit OT - but handy none the less)

Excellent online references for anatomy.
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com