AuthorTopic: [WIP] Arm Anatomy  (Read 10593 times)

Offline Shifty McSly

• the Master Thief
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Arm Anatomy

Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 03:50:33 pm
I think capcom's sprites are way too figurative to use as any sort of a reference, the lines they use are (I hope) decided by the angle and shape of the arm, I think you need a good understanding of the 3d form to understand what the lines actually represent. I agree with ep, the original was far more interesting, now it's a deformed beast with normal human arms. Just my opinion.

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 06:12:41 pm
The dit has worked wonders.. it's got a superb shape and form now. The definition is great, perhaps just some shade along the right of the 'middle' upper arm buldge.. if that makes any sense..

Offline Franky G

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 11:56:34 am
I think its clear i should be using real references. I guess i should observe the "style" rather than the anatomy in my ref. Otherwise i'll still be forced to guess what i'm doing when i try in future to create other poses.

Anyway, i hired an illustrated book on anatomy which should help. So far i'm finding very useful but its very detailed. quite a lot to take in. I Think i'll leave this piece until i've studied the book and are confident in what i'm doing.

Anatomy For The Artist: 142 full page plates
Jeno Barcsay
Octopus Books London 1973

Offline Franky G

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 12:46:25 pm
I've been meaning to finish this one for some time but i've been so busy lately. To be honest i've only spent a short amount of time really studying anatomy since i left this but i think things are improving none the less. I realised that the entire thing was really flawed from the start so i made some pretty big changes. I jumped back into this one at the start of the week and have been working pretty casually since. This is my progress at the moment.

right now, connecting the shoulders to the body is a bit of a challenge. I'm dropping it for the moment and will start on getting the basic outline for the legs soon as i've only focussed on the upper body.

C&C welcome.

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 03:38:34 pm
Not sure how correct this is, but it'll have to suffice for explaining...

The biceps (green) goes in under the delta/shoulder muscle. I think there's a smaller muscle on the lower outside of the biceps (blue), and it meets with the muscle which bends funnily into the lower arm (pink), and the blob of that one covers a few muscles which come out from under it. The biceps is 2 muscles btw, and and is sometimes show because they're a bit displaced. On the back of the leg there's a biceps too (biceps femoris) and it kinda splits up and goes on each side of the back of the knee, making the hole. Maybe you can feel its two tendons on the back of the knee and lower upper leg.

The shoulder muscle is the same as the 'breast' muscle. It kind of shoots radially and turning into it. I marked this with a darker magenta string. Often you get a little hole there (intersection of biceps, delta and breast) of you do the hulking 'hulk' pose.

The upper leg has a few easy muscles to remember. The 'drop' muscle on the inside, and under is a diagonal string muscle. Inside towards the croth theres a lot of little strings, and I don't know the exact details of those, other than the ones which are relevant to stretching panty cloth of course... The hip bone might show (yellow).

The neck would be a bit strange. The Trapezius (back of neck, I think we call it the 'cloak' muscle) would probably wrap behind the back and up to the back of the head. The 'nod' muscle would somehow merge with it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 03:43:26 pm by Arne »

Offline Franky G

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 02:16:03 am
Wow thanks for the excellent response Arne. Very informative and the edit is superb. This will keep me busy for a while. Much appreciated!  :y:

Offline Franky G

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 18, 2008, 08:44:14 am
UUgh.. i've lost count on how many hours i've spent on this one.. Here's an update..

Offline Franky G

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 11:25:29 am
An update is in order. I'm jumping the gun here and have started colouring. I just think some depth at the moment will help. I've added the left fist now which is a little different from what Arne done in his edit (although i love his). I'm pretty happy and to be honest it was easier than i thought. I've purposely removed the right arm because i've got no idea really where to start for that angle. I'll work on this next.

As for the shading, i need to say that i've originally used a pallate from a piece done by St0ven which i've modified slightly. Please note this is temporary. I'm not sure what peoples opinions are on here about this but i hope its not a problem..

Anyway, C+C on appreciated.

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: February 24, 2008, 08:32:57 pm
Wow is all I can say. Huge improvement and I love the underwater sea creature look to it. (I know it's not what its meant to be)
The colors are smooth looking and it's looking really good so far. Next is the feet  :blind:

EDIT:

I did a little expiriment with the right arm (his right) and tried to give it a casting look to it, I suck with hands though so I just threw a circle on there. I got a bit of refrence from the pic but I don't think it helped much. Just a little somethin somethin though
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 09:05:31 pm by VictorR »