AuthorTopic: (CC)(WIP) Platformer project - LJ2  (Read 1925 times)

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

(CC)(WIP) Platformer project - LJ2

on: December 11, 2017, 07:56:57 pm
I have started to think about gfx for platformer game. I have been having sooo many ideas but i was thought that it wouldnt be goo enough. This made me little depressed.... Thats why i wanted to start from the begining. Ill try to post some work stages. Critics are welcome, feel free to post your thoughts or ideas.
I have started to use Pyxel Edit software for this project, usualy i was useing Gimp.

Basic tiles shadows. I have started with 2 ideas of stage light. Very blocky and squared. My worst thing is that, that i used to do with ssme of my work, is that i used to much focus on small parts of the project. Lets start with basics and big things, after that ill try to get to smaller details.
This idea comes after examine of Android Arts project called "Marne mockup". Its simply amazing. Ill try to focus on that idea.

After a while i decide to use different lighting. In my opinion, better for wood stage.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 08:35:04 am by Koyot1222 »

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: (CC) Platformer project - LJ2

Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 09:18:18 pm
It's hard to give feedback with something this basic, since I can't even tell what you're aiming to depict, if anything.

The yellow vibrates against the blues, I feel like you should probably use less saturated blues.

In the bottom version with the dark background, the entire structure feels more "solid", like it might be something the player can collide with, while in the top version, it feels like it should be entirely cosmetic. Perhaps that's something to take into account. Of course, value is far from the only factor that makes things look solid or not, so once you're playing with the saturation, hues, and details, the values may become a lot less relevant for this.

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Re: (CC)(WIP) Platformer project - LJ2

Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 08:42:55 am
Thanks for reply!
Yup, as i said i had some ideas earlier, but i wanted to change it.
First idea:

Secound idea:

Last idea...  ??? First time used "Pyxel Edit"

But i wasnt satysfied, too many details, but whole look wasnt good enough.
Thats i wanted to reset the whole proces.  :-[
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 08:49:09 am by Koyot1222 »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: (CC)(WIP) Platformer project - LJ2

Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 11:06:23 am
link to the marne mockup inspiration (please done make us google).
screenshots of it if no good links.

please describe the kind of world u want to create.
imagine ur writing a brief for an artist to paint thie image on a wall for $15k rather than in technical speak.

also, start freehand pixel painting in ur best available graphics program.
toggle the 16px grid off and on as u paint and worry about the tiling later.