AuthorTopic: Pixel art for a 2D unity platformer  (Read 2999 times)

Offline CloudHare

• View Profile

Pixel art for a 2D unity platformer

on: November 25, 2017, 09:40:02 am
Hey everyone!

I'm rather new to pixel art and completely new to this forum. I'm making a platformer game on Unity and I'm using pixel art.

I used 384 by 216 pixels because it is in 16:9 ratio.
The knight is a 32 by 32 sprite.

So my 1st question is: Does it make sense to make backgrounds of such size for 2D Unity pixel art games?
2nd: Is it obvious that those are stone bricks in a dungeon?
And also: Is the knight ok? Or should I add more detail?

Thanks!

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: Pixel art for a 2D unity platformer

Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 04:42:41 pm
What do you mean by "backgrounds of such size"? If you're referring to how small the knight is relative to the screen, that depends on the type of game this is, and the camera motion.

The bricks read fine, though I think they'd look a lot better if they were bigger.

The knight doesn't look finished. It looks like they're wearing grey spandex rather than metal armour. The armour needs more sections. Shoulder guards, knee guards, etc. In addition, armour is shiny (high-contrast) and tends to reflects the colours around it rather than just being pure grey.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 07:25:44 am
work got boring so did some doodling in (GIMP portable  :yell:).

Offline SilverBrick

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 09:45:51 pm
The background’s contrast looks fine but I think the bricks could stand to be bigger.

Right now, there’s a disparity between the simplicity of the foreground/knight and the detail of the background. If you made the background bricks bigger, that’d probably fix the issue. What level of detail are you trying to go for?

I think the knight’s leaning forwards too far. He looks like a shove from behind could send him flying. It also looks like he has digitigrade feet... maybe add a more obvious foot to the leg closest to us?

Offline CloudHare

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 03:52:46 pm

The background’s contrast looks fine but I think the bricks could stand to be bigger.

Right now, there’s a disparity between the simplicity of the foreground/knight and the detail of the background. If you made the background bricks bigger, that’d probably fix the issue. What level of detail are you trying to go for?

I think the knight’s leaning forwards too far. He looks like a shove from behind could send him flying. It also looks like he has digitigrade feet... maybe add a more obvious foot to the leg closest to us?

Thank you guys for your feedback. I changed the bricks, made them bigger, added cracks. I'm a bit worried that there are too many missing bricks and holes in the brisk wall. In some of the holes I was planning to add red stalking eyes, that would blink and move once every now and then.
About the knight.

work got boring so did some doodling in (GIMP portable  :yell:).

Much appreciated that you took the time to improve my knight. I was wondering if I could take some elements from your upgrade? As your version is far too complex for me to animate.
Also, I'm working on dynamic lighting. If you happen to know a good tutorial it would be of great help. As currently I am using GIMP to make normal mapping, but since my knight has multiple animations I hadn't managed to get them working well together.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 01:37:18 pm
I was wondering if I could take some elements from your upgrade?
sure go for ur life :y:
no idea about the normal mapping stuff maybe Gil can help.

Gil's profile:
https://pixelation.org/index.php?action=profile;u=40

Offline SlimEddie

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 01:53:46 pm
I am pretty sure there is a free 2d lighting asset in unity asset store ;) - since you talked about lighting in 2d and unity ;)