AuthorTopic: I'm floored.  (Read 15830 times)

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Re: I'm floored.

Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 02:15:04 pm
And index painting.  Say no to index painting.

And yes, thank you for the kind words.. we always appreciate them :)
typing ewith fdace

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 02:47:19 pm
I agree with kasan.
This board has a very high quality standard compared to other pixel boards.
There is a pile of many damn good artists here and the board is very active.

By the way: what is index painting and why should one say no to it?
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 03:37:11 pm
There's nothing wrong with index painting unless you claim that it's 100% hand pixeled.

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 03:49:28 pm
There's nothing wrong with index painting unless you claim that it's 100% hand pixeled.

Most people don't make claims either way; not that I think our definition of pixel art is written in stone, but there are enough things out there that obfuscate it without people posting index painted pieces in pixel art hangouts without any clarification. My big beef, however, is that I see a lot of cases where an index painted piece could have been accomplished by hand much more efficiently and without a big time investment. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 03:53:03 pm by goat »
typing ewith fdace

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 03:53:29 pm
Yeah... so what exactly is index painting?
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 13, 2006, 03:58:41 pm
Index painting as I usually hear about it refers to using soft brushes or automatic AA to paint a piece within a restricted palette.  You still end up adhering to whatever palette restrictions were set forth, but since little to no consideration is given to the placement of individual colors, it isn't pixel art in the pure sense.  It can be hard to spot, but index painted pieces tend to have characteristically overdone AA, and the ones that are actually offensive to me have bloated palettes that typically stretch the limits of their target platform rather than stay optimized for efficiency and portability.

As I understand it it's not the same as painting something and THEN downsampling, though.
typing ewith fdace

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #16 on: November 13, 2006, 04:51:37 pm
I think "pixelart" should be defined as "digital artform in which the artist has full explicit contoll over the palette and where every single pixel is placed"

Something like that. Indexpainting is ace tho for some things, like making quake or doom textures.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 02:14:22 am
only beef with indexpainting is that there's more to critique about it in a 'digital art' sense than in 'pixel art' sense. So that's why I think it doesn't belong here mostly. If someone however starts with soft stuff and dirty tools, and as he progresses, reigns it in, keeps the palette small, goes in with an one-pixel brush and fixes everything, generally, does it Made-style, then we're talking more demoscene pixelling than generic index painting, and there's more to talk about even within the context of Pixelation.

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 04:34:52 am
That's what I'm saying; there's "nothing wrong with" index painting in the same sense that there's "nothing wrong with" any other digital medium or technique, just that it's not entirely pixel art and there are therefore better places for it than here :p
typing ewith fdace

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: November 14, 2006, 06:15:37 am
That's what I'm saying; there's "nothing wrong with" index painting in the same sense that there's "nothing wrong with" any other digital medium or technique, just that it's not entirely pixel art and there are therefore better places for it than here :p
Are there? I've certainly tried to find such a place. Hardly anyone seems to do it these days.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.