AuthorTopic: beat em' up character ANIMATED (Critique and feedback here)  (Read 5027 times)

Offline B-Rokal

• I'll Cross-stitch for food
    • View Profile
First of all, i'm not really sure if it is ok to start a new thread for something related to another piece, so if i shouldn't do this then sorry and please let me know :blind:

Anyway, whadabout this?

Does it look good? ok? even if you don't know what to say or can't precisely put your finger on what's wrong (if so), hearing a "good job" or "I donīt quite like it" will be fantastically helpful :) THANKS A LOT for the other feedback, this forum is fantastic :D

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Re: beat em' up character ANIMATED (Critique and feedback here)

Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 09:14:30 am
Looks really good! Very consistent forms and drawings, has nice dimensionality. The animation is pretty stock standard though, nothing wrong with that necessarily but if you use less uniform timing you could get a lot more energy and personality into it. By that I mean don't always move everything the same amount each frame, try having the feet hang for longer at one and and then shoot to the other side, things like that. It could also use some horizontal acceleration, the body pushing forward a little be faster as his foot leaves the ground. I think you should tone down the head rotation a little bit as well.

Keep it up  :y:

Offline B-Rokal

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 02:00:20 am
Thanks a lot for the answer :D

Do you think the animation needs more frames or simply more "asymmetrical" timing?

I got this:

Does it look better?

Offline fereal

• @LuckyDothraki
    • View Profile
    • Caleidosymmetry

Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 04:13:43 am
The timing of the limbs feels a lot better, from the initial animation. I think @32 is right about the horizontal motion, too. Try playing around with that. Maybe move the character forward when they are at their highest? As for the asymmetrical timing, I think it would depend on the momentum and weight you want to convey. I'm looking forward to the next iteration!

Offline B-Rokal

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 05:35:16 am
I donīt quite get the "horizontal movement" thing, what I understood of that is that the body pushes itself a little forward when the foot leaves the ground... is that what you meant? .____. I also designed two versions

Subtle (1px forward in key frames):

Strong (2px forward in keyframes):

Anyway, THANKS a lot for everything :)

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 06:02:53 am
probably meant something like this

Offline B-Rokal

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 06:22:13 pm
Wow, that certainly looks way better O.o thank youuuu :D

What is the next step? (god, i'm inspired right now XD)

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 10:12:16 am
If you've not already tested that this running speed is fine for the kind of gameplay that you want, you should do it now. If there is a big mismatch between the actual movement and how fast+far the feet move, the character will look like he's either ice-skating (legs too slow) or running in slippery mud (legs too fast).
Once this is ok, at this point, I'd switch to working on the various action movements that this animation can switch to and from. Not the whole animation, just the most important keyframe of an action (single-frame punch, single-frame kick...)
Make sure the actions connect well with run :
- body mass doesn't teleport for no reason
- no visual illusions caused by infortunate transitions (a leg being in a position where there was an arm, for example)
- check that the visual range of "attacks" are in line with how you want them for gameplay purposes. A game character who can't hit something that is at arm's length is as frustrating as a Tyrannosaurus boxing match.

Offline B-Rokal

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 04:40:25 am
I'm Actually with another project so i don't want to begin development until finishing with that one, is very common for indies to fail due to work on a lot of projects at the same time, it begins with 2 simultaneous projects, then it becomes 3, then 6, you canīt stop overwhelming yourself, is like a drug XD. I want to avoid that at all costs, so one project at time and everyone happy

I'm, however, too inspired in working with this beat em up and i canīt help myself but to do this animations in my free time, just to calm my instincts XD.

[READ FROM HERE FOR WHAT'S IMPORTANT]

Enough with that, maybe i'll make a dummy unity to test the animations, what I want to say with this is that for the moment my focus is that "the sprites looks allright", i'll test animation coherency at due time (still, those animation tips were fantastic and i'm stil recieving comentaries on that)

Other thing (first of all, i'm OBVIOUSLY a godamn noob in game dev, I'm at my first year of college XD) I want this game to look nice THEREFORE working the gameplay around the design, if i'm commiting a mistake doing this (specially if it is project breaking-huge) I want to know ._____. donīt let me destroy myself with my crappy ideas XD

Offline B-Rokal

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 04:03:47 am
Random Reply to not let the topic die XD

before I continue animating, I want to design the other characters, check this topic for more info https://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=24204.0

I'll update as soon as i'm happy with the game's artstyle