AuthorTopic: [WIP] Isometric Amusement Park  (Read 15600 times)

Offline dreamisle

• Software Engineer/Puzzle Author
    • View Profile
    • Dave Goes the Distance

[WIP] Isometric Amusement Park

on: November 11, 2006, 03:37:05 am
This is a WIP that I'm doing for a friend. It's going to be palced in my isometric city at http://thegriddle.net/isocity/ in the Pirate Cove region. I plan on adding a lot more including some sort of shipwreck possibly with a ride in it, and a midway and a few other 'flat rides'.

C+C appreciated, but I'm hesitant to make really big changes like moving the waterslide or the go-kart track.

TO DO:
  • Finish rides and stalls and such, including beach and observation tower and/or boardwalk and add more horses to the carousel.
  • Add the shipwreck to the top corner.
  • Tweak rides to look better.
  • Detail everything - break up monotony in the grassy areas and road.
  • Tweak palette to be wild, but still fit with the theme of that section of the city.
  • Create animated gifs to lay over the image for various rides.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 01:20:24 am by dreamisle »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Isometric Amusement Park

Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 10:47:52 pm
Shadow from the fence on the bottom beach would be good as its hard to tell whether its a beach or a cliff.  Like the way you
shaded the merrigoround's top.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline dreamisle

• View Profile
    • Dave Goes the Distance

Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 12:02:30 am
Shadow from the fence on the bottom beach would be good as its hard to tell whether its a beach or a cliff.  Like the way you
shaded the merrigoround's top.
The bottom area is a cobblestone road. I'll work on shadows after I finish the coaster.

Offline SN33K

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 12:06:31 am
Im new here, but the beach and water on the North and West side of the picture look to be on a higher level than the Amusement park, which if real would result in mass flooding  :P

Offline dreamisle

• View Profile
    • Dave Goes the Distance

Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 02:44:16 am
Im new here, but the beach and water on the North and West side of the picture look to be on a higher level than the Amusement park, which if real would result in mass flooding  :P
No it wouldn't. The view is isometric you moron. Learn about graphic styles before you try to critique them.

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 03:14:16 am
Umm, I don't know about you, Dreamisle, but I do see some sort of odd effect that messes up the perspective of the image and makes the water look higher. It's certainly never okay to call anyone a moron for sharing their opinion. If you refine that part of the image a bit I can see if I can figure out why it looks high.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 03:24:53 am
Dreamisle we do not advocate name-calling or any other form of blatant disrespect to the members here.  What Sn33k had to say was very valid and I agree with both him and Pawige.  This is your first official warning.  Learn about respect before judging another member

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 03:48:13 am
I think it might actually be lack of isometric perspective that makes it look higher, as if it were hanging over the bay in an incident angle. also the  the dark stripe on the edge of the sand (I know it's wetness) make it look like the water is casting a shadow, and light stripe on the edge of the water(I know it's foam) only enhances the effect.

I'd draw the erratic water border in a separate image and then translate it to ISO (sorry, dont know how...I'm sure there was a tutorial about it once, try Zoggles' site) and try to give more detail to the foam and wetness so they dont appear to be stripes.

Offline dreamisle

• View Profile
    • Dave Goes the Distance

Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 05:09:18 am
I'm sorry I called him a name, but I don't see any way whatsoever that the water looks higher than the rest of the image. I seriously have no idea why you all think it looks that way and it seems crazy. Someone please explain it to me.

And why is it that I only recieved 1 serious reply to my post until I insulted someone? I had tons of views but no critiques. I thought this community was supposed to be more helpful than that. I guess it's changed a lot since I was here a few years ago. I mean, it's ridiculous. Even the chatroom sucks because everyone wants to talk about MMORPGs and 3D models and sculpting. You guys have no idea how frustrating it is.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 05:12:50 am
I think you need to relax.