AuthorTopic: [WIP] Isometric Amusement Park  (Read 15828 times)

Offline snake

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Isometric Amusement Park

Reply #20 on: November 12, 2006, 09:15:13 pm
I'm just wondering, is there a reason this looks so much like Rollercoaster Tycoon? I see a number of similarities. I have to know before any crits can be made.

Offline dreamisle

• Software Engineer/Puzzle Author
    • View Profile
    • Dave Goes the Distance

Reply #21 on: November 12, 2006, 09:21:22 pm
I'm just wondering, is there a reason this looks so much like Rollercoaster Tycoon? I see a number of similarities. I have to know before any crits can be made.
Because RCT has rides. This, however, is way too small to be ripped from RCT. Not to mention a lot of the stuff here looks completely different from RCT. I feel somewhat insulted that you implied I would rip graphics from a commercial game when I am doing a commissioned piece of art.

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: November 12, 2006, 09:36:46 pm
I never implied that you ripped. Rollercoaster Tycoon is the only isometric themepark game there is and there are bound to be some similarities when you're making a piece such as this. Fact is, the rollercoaster, go-cart, waterslide and merry-go-round look a lot like they did in the game. I am however perfectly able to see that it's not a rip.

If you were going for the Rollercoaster Tycoon look, or used the rides as reference, it would be a lot easier asking if you did rather than assuming you did or didn't in the critique. If I had accused you, I would have been very clear on that point. Please try to be a little easier on the trigger next time.

Offline dreamisle

• View Profile
    • Dave Goes the Distance

Reply #23 on: November 12, 2006, 10:12:47 pm
I never implied that you ripped. Rollercoaster Tycoon is the only isometric themepark game there is and there are bound to be some similarities when you're making a piece such as this. Fact is, the rollercoaster, go-cart, waterslide and merry-go-round look a lot like they did in the game. I am however perfectly able to see that it's not a rip.

If you were going for the Rollercoaster Tycoon look, or used the rides as reference, it would be a lot easier asking if you did rather than assuming you did or didn't in the critique. If I had accused you, I would have been very clear on that point. Please try to be a little easier on the trigger next time.

Quote from: snake
I have to know before any crits can be made.

If you had to know before any crits could be made, that sounds like you were implying it, like "I want to know if this is a rip or if it's all your own rides before I criticize it because if it's a rip then there's no work of yours to write a crit about." Do you get what I mean?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #24 on: November 12, 2006, 10:22:16 pm
I understand your need to defend yourself to the extent that you felt you were accused of ripping, but then when snake clarified that this was not what he did it would be best to drop it. Generally, you need to take it easy and let this place do its thing, there's no sense antagonizing everyone that comes to your thread and generally arguing everything to the ground. Please seriously consider what I am suggesting.

Offline havocplague

• View Profile
    • my old portfolio

Reply #25 on: November 12, 2006, 10:53:07 pm
If you are doing this for a client, you should really be prepared to have to answer a few questions, probably along the lines of the ones asked here. Clients, who usually lack the talent or time to do this stuff themselves often tend to say things like "I like this one, make it twice as big by tomorrow" or "I don't like red, let's make this thing here green." And when that happens, you need to be able to defend your choice of color,style,etc, and you still need to make them happy. You also need to understand that you need to be able to explain to them why you have chosen to do something, in a way that they can a) understand and b) feel comfortable with.

So, everytime someone asks you something, you should take a minute, put down a well written, simple answer. And keep it polite.

So, this really isn't c&c on your actual piece(sorry about that) but rather a pointer to something that is going to be very helpful if you plan to make it as an artist or designer.

Offline dreamisle

• View Profile
    • Dave Goes the Distance

Reply #26 on: November 12, 2006, 11:40:31 pm
If you are doing this for a client, you should really be prepared to have to answer a few questions, probably along the lines of the ones asked here. Clients, who usually lack the talent or time to do this stuff themselves often tend to say things like "I like this one, make it twice as big by tomorrow" or "I don't like red, let's make this thing here green." And when that happens, you need to be able to defend your choice of color,style,etc, and you still need to make them happy. You also need to understand that you need to be able to explain to them why you have chosen to do something, in a way that they can a) understand and b) feel comfortable with.

So, everytime someone asks you something, you should take a minute, put down a well written, simple answer. And keep it polite.

So, this really isn't c&c on your actual piece(sorry about that) but rather a pointer to something that is going to be very helpful if you plan to make it as an artist or designer.
I totally understand. The problem is, my client is pleased with it so far, but the only suggestions he's given me so far are things like 'can you add this?' or 'can you make this a bit bigger?' and I'd like a bit more technical c+c on the piece.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #27 on: November 12, 2006, 11:45:51 pm
add more texture and contrast.  I think the palette could do with a lot of work.  You've got the basic isometric shapes you need, they just need texturing, and with some good palette unification it will be pretty good.  A lot of the colors you have at the moment don't compliment each other and it's not very aesthetically pleasing.  Make it more vibrant and try and break the normal "green for grass, brown for brick" style shading.

Offline dreamisle

• View Profile
    • Dave Goes the Distance

Reply #28 on: November 13, 2006, 12:41:45 am
Palette unification? Explain. And what others would you suggest for grass? Most of the grass I've seen is green. I am confused by what you say... :/

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #29 on: November 13, 2006, 01:00:25 am
instead of just using green with a few random dots - try and texture it.  Add worn parts, longer parts, muddy parts, litter.  "green for grass, brown for brick" is general expression meaning don't just use solid colours to represent different objects (eg. blue for water, yellow for sand).  use the actual pixels to texturise.

for more on palettes read up on these:

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=922.0

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=2378.0

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=2144.0

the latter won't directly show you information about palettes - but its interesting to see how other artists pick thir colors.