AuthorTopic: Small Problem with Aseprite. Help pls ))  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Gooby2D

• Gooby2D
    • View Profile

Small Problem with Aseprite. Help pls ))

on: November 21, 2017, 10:46:44 pm
Small problem, small question but i would be very happy if someone could help me out.

so the first one and the second one are actually the exact same except i saved the first with a grey bg
because somehow it misses out a lot of pixels when i save it with a transparent one :o

does anyone know why?

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: Small Problem with Aseprite. Help pls ))

Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 11:25:51 pm
GIF only supports full or 0 opacity, it doesn't support partial opacity. On the grey background, every pixel has full opacity because there's a solid background, but with a transparent background, that's not the case. So, Aseprite rounds the opacities of your pixels to the nearest valid value, which means all pixels under 50% opacity become completely transparent, and the more visible ones are given full opacity.

Offline Hunited

• Post-ironic is the new authentic.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 02:23:14 pm
Interesting, how would you need to save files that have partial opacities, then, if they're for a game for example? As a spritesheet then, and let the game engine animate it?

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 02:43:59 pm
@Hunited: Correct, spritesheets are the way to go. You generally don't want to use animated GIFs in a game anyway, since they give you less control over when and how they animate.
For the web there's also APNG, but it's not supported by all browsers and there aren't many image editors that allow saving as APNG yet.