AuthorTopic: Me working as a pixel artist  (Read 7151 times)

Offline Scarlett

• View Profile

Re: Me working as a pixel artist

Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 10:30:28 pm
Hey so I am still a beginner to this but I've improved a lot. I was thinking that while I train, I can work as a super-cheap pixel artist (since I really need a job)- like under $10/hour. On Upwork I'll work for lik $7.50- but I'll make less because of the fees/taxes. Here are my recent original works (most based on a reference)

You said yourself that you're training,I would encourage you to get into something more profitable

Offline wanderer123

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 09:04:30 pm
Hey! So I can't get a job now but I need some more money so I am trying to make pixel art for people for money. I am actually studying Computer Science B.S. to become a computer programmer to develop video games- I'll need to make pixel art for 2D games too. But I am having difficulties getting this degree so I do pixel art now. My main reason for pixel art is not a job- but this reason is needed too, but to create pixel art for my many video games projects. Hiring others is expensive so I want to create my own stuff. I also want to get into music composing for video games too. Maybe one day I can work for video game companies after I get such skills and that degree- get it?

Offline Hunited

• Post-ironic is the new authentic.
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 09:39:20 pm
No offense, but your reasoning is extremely faulty. You only talk about what you want, but don't really refute any other argument. The truth is, there are many like you, getting paid for this quality of pixel art is nearly impossible. You probably have to just get a part-time job somewhere and practice doing pixel art in your free time (which is also what others suggested) and nothing you said, sounds like a better plan than this. When you put yourself out there, prepare to be bamboozled sometimes, your original intentions and thoughts may be challenged. Don't crawl back into your shell, learn from it!

Offline wanderer123

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 10:33:32 pm
I'm not afraid of criticism when it's constructive. I don't know how I can get a part-time job now since I have health issues (maybe even a disability) and thus, I have special needs. My main reason for learn/training pixel art is to create 2D games, including ones I would wan to sell. But maybe I have a low chance of succeeding in a game... Even making $50/wk or $100/mo for me from pixel art would make a difference for me, that's why I want to end up doing it. But I guess I'll go and try finding myself a job again anyway.

Offline SlimEddie

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 24, 2017, 02:21:04 am
So here is my perspective buddy,
I am 21 y old 4 year electronics engineering student and I am quite adept in programming,
Making games was a dream of mine ever since I got into programming,
I started small, used game maker and made few little games there which are still up on yoyogames website - it was like 8 years ago,
Making games is not as fun as you may think, as somewhat of an intellectual person I enjoy puzzles and programming something like world gen gets me off, but I lack capability to finish my games past general mechanics - making games is nothing like I envisioned it.
So fast forward few years, I still sometimes work on games that I have not finished, and I also dabble in pixel art since I thought it is an easy skill to pick up - boy was I wrong, you may only need 16 pixels but color and placement make an impact - I admire people who can create beautiful pixel art.

I know I am all over the place in this comment but to sum up, you are in it because you think that you can make a game that will make you millions.. this is not how it works, you need huge commitment, a lot of luck and endless hours to make an impact.
You are better off finding something else with that attitude, eventually you will realize that every one who gave you advice here is right.

You just can't be a jack of all trades, pick something and put time into it.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #15 on: November 24, 2017, 02:37:24 am
I'm also someone who has trouble finding "real" work due to health issues and for whom an extra $50/week would be a great help. However, I will not hurt fellow artists by undercharging for my work, and I know I have opportunities to make money with skills other than pixel art - and I'm someone for whom working is a pixel art is a bit more viable since I'm not as much of a beginner as you. I take (some) of those opportunities.

Don't hyper-focus on one skill; make use of all your skills, especially if you're desperate for money. In addition, improving at a skill that you're not yet good with should be done on your own time, not on the job - otherwise it's unfair both to you, since you're spending more time on the work than it's worth, and to your clients, who have to deal with inconsistent completion times and inconsistent quality.

If you're looking for a extra income until you're good enough to get pixel work at reasonable rates, consider doing low-skill tasks through services such as Amazon Turk. Some of them are horribly underpaid (if you include the time it takes to find and start doing them), but there are also many tasks with decent pay. For example, I just checked and there are a number of audio transcription tasks with pretty good pay. The better ones will give you rates comparable to what you're thinking of charging for art, but without the extra time spent communicating with clients, and with less stress. That'll probably leave you more time to actually practice your pixel art, too.