Poll

What best describes your interest or time spent playing video games?

Serious
Moderate
Small
No interest
Dislike games, love pixels!

AuthorTopic: Gamer Poll  (Read 15294 times)

Offline snake

• View Profile

Re: Gamer Poll

Reply #30 on: November 12, 2006, 02:19:55 pm
Not sure what the criteria for being hardcore is. In some cases it's about as uncertain as the term 'cool'. As in only other people can promote you to the hardcore level. I guess I'll have to vote hardcore though, because I'm certainly not moderate.

Been playing games all my life. I was born the same year the NES was released (though distrebution was different throughout the world.) and was playing Mario, Kid Icarus and Megaman from the very start. On the PC: Sim city, Police quest, Space Quest and Kings Quest. Then the Snes came out and I discovered Zelda (a link to the past). Not through friends or commercials, but through renting a random game and noticing that it was actually fantastic fun to play. Megaman X came at about the same time and things just started adding up after that.

I'll admit, I am a bit of a Nintendo fan. I own a lot of the major Nintendo consoles (nes, snes, n64, gamecube, gameboy colour, gameboy advance and the DS) and play them on a regular basis. Since my NES died, I've been playing all of my old games through emulators. I play a lot of different games on the PC, though the only one that hasn't really done it for me yet is the MMORPG. In rare cases, there have been good ones, but most are repetitive and boring in my eyes and I will never pay to play them, no matter how fun they are.

Games are an essential part of my day. I check the news, the stores and make games myself. Been an amateur game maker since secondary school. Console games are expensive nowadays, so I don't play as much of them as I would like. Though I see the awful tendency that a lot of the games are unoriginal and boring. Hopefully, I can have a say in this at some point.

Hardcore or not, I likes me some games.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: November 12, 2006, 05:01:49 pm
I'm above moderate, but I'm not hardcore. I'm definitely more serious about games than one of thems "casual gamers", but I don't play as often as one might think.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #32 on: November 12, 2006, 09:04:29 pm
I'm in a strange place. I'm hardcore, not so much that I play everything that's out there, but that I've dedicated big chunks of my free time to some select games, and I've become good on them. I'm an ok-amateur in Dodonpachi (35 million, red ship, laser) I've finished large chunks of N, Sonic 1 and 2 wield to my power so on. I don't spend more than a few hours per two days or so on videogames now.

I am very interested in video game aesthetics, and therefore have played almost everything graphical on pc and compatibles up to the cd-rom age. Extensive knowledge on other systems either via emulation or because I was once in possession. Mostly Amiga, some Atari ST, commodore c64. I make games, so I think about gameplay a lot as well, and dissect commercial stuff much as we do with pixel art here.

Offline Wes

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: November 13, 2006, 01:24:14 am
I normally don't play games, at least not when in school. I leave all my stuff at home.

I might turn on Banjo-Kazooie or Tooie and play that for a while, because I really love those games, but that mostly comes out of boredom (or during breaks from school, when I have nothing to do other than work). I just started Cave Story today, which is really awesome so far.

But as a whole, no. I don't consider myself a "gamer".

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #34 on: November 13, 2006, 06:01:44 am
I enjoy working on games or coming up with ideas/art more than playing them, but I have gotten a lot more sucked into playing games lately, too. It's that damned Xbox 360.

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: November 13, 2006, 06:27:10 am
Im pretty much hardcore to, i play WoW.. that answers everything :P.

But i also make games, and pixel pretty much.. even if my game isint original GFX made by me i still spend pretty much of my time developing it.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #36 on: November 13, 2006, 07:04:54 am
I play about 1 to a few hours a day. Again, I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I like to play loads.

While I like to play on any platform (if available to me) I must say I'm a nintendo fanboy >:0
I own pretty much all their consoles since I got into games (which I guess it was around the N64) and really looking forwards to the wii.
I also must say I'm a fan of handhelds (read that as gba SP and DS) since I like that whole thing of playing anywhere whenever I want.

My favourite games (genre-wise if you can call it like that) are those games filled with minigames, games where you have to collect something, and games that make you laugh.
(Of course I like some Shmups and a few platformers etc)
And while I dont mind hard games, if I cant clear parts of it after a certain amount of tries, I tend to stop playing them and moving onto something else :0

Graphics wise, started being interested after I got into pixel art. (and yeah I bought a few games just because of the graphics candy)

And from time to time I like to plan a few games (idea+mechanics wise) and work on them.
I like to work on commercial games too though.

Offline pixelblink

• View Profile
    • pixeljoint

Reply #37 on: November 13, 2006, 07:25:47 am
forgot to mention... I'm a hardcore Spider Solitaire gamer. For real yo!

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: November 13, 2006, 09:14:48 am
i'm addicted to flash games. and other quickie arcade games i can play while planning to take over the world.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline SolidIdea

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: November 15, 2006, 04:58:48 am
I'm really addicted in videogames since my beloved Mega Drive.