AuthorTopic: 2D Attack Animation - Pixel Size  (Read 2573 times)

Offline OrangeLeaf

• View Profile

2D Attack Animation - Pixel Size

on: November 19, 2017, 03:00:40 pm
I have a 32x32 sprite. I wanted to know if it's okay to extend this sprite to, say 96x96 to show the sword slash effect. Or do I keep the 32x32 sprite, and another 32x32 slash effect separate?

Reason I ask is because I have read that keeping pixel size consistent is important. I have a 10 frame attack animation, but I wanted to cut it down to 3-4 frames. So I wanted to see if it's alright to extend my canvas size. This is for a game I'm working on and wanted to know now so I can keep doing it for other characters. I am using GraphicsGale.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: 2D Attack Animation - Pixel Size

Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 04:05:00 pm
Pixel size consistency refers to not mixing different size "pixels", e.g. not having 1x1 and 2x2 "pixels" in the same image, like this:

It's perfectly fine to extend the size of your sprite for some frames to accommodate different effects. Some engines don't handle that well and you may need to pad your smaller sprites to be the same size as your larger sprites for that character/object, but most engines handle differently-sized sprites just fine. It is an option to do that stuff as separate sprites, but that's really a question of how you want to handle it in your game engine rather than anything artistic.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 04:11:44 pm by eishiya »

Offline OrangeLeaf

• View Profile

Re: 2D Attack Animation - Pixel Size

Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 04:16:37 pm
The game engine I'm using is Unity. It shouldn't have a problem with that kind of stuff. I guess it is kind of difficult to keep my character sprite the same size if I were to incorporate the sword slash effect with the sprite.