Poll

What best describes your interest in pixel Dolls?

Love them.
I like them.
I don't care.
Not fond of them.
I hate them.

AuthorTopic: Doll Poll  (Read 18782 times)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Re: Doll Poll

Reply #30 on: December 26, 2006, 03:36:11 pm
i cant i have ever really had contact with dollers or doll communities.  If its pixel-art then its pretty good.  nothing wrong with making clothes or items for eachothers work...

perhaps if pixelation had a doll thread - there might be some awesome dolls.  would be a cool way for artists to collaberate.  is everyone against the idea of dolls or just against the people?

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: December 26, 2006, 07:10:15 pm
Myself, I never did feel too fond of 'Sprite Dolls' after a while, while it is an easy and somewhat practical method to test out designs and skills, I overall wouldn't really recommend it. I would in honesty prefer to do everything alone, by scratch and the likes, but while making the doll bases themselves takes effort, I wouldn't say I hate the authors or the doll-editors at all. They're trying to be good and that's alright in my opinion.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: December 27, 2006, 04:01:44 am
I've got no problems with the Doll communities social structure or willingness to share. Also, although the general level of quality is lower than I like, the quality seems persistant. Whereas on Pixelation you'll end up seeing everything from professional quality to absolute crap quality, Doll sites tend to have a pretty consistant middle ground in quality.

I prefer to be able to witness both, at least here you can gauge your talents against a variety of artists and styles. A doll hall full of mediocrities won't do you much good in said circumstances. I'm not fond of the doll scene today because i find many dolls to be aesthetically... scary!
Many blow basic anatomy out of proportion and have a lifeless, artificial look to them which i find especially creepy. Most of all its the way people worship dolls when there is so much more out there. I wish more dollers became more aware of pixel art. They could then use those skills in their own artistic endeavors- doll or not.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 06:12:53 am by gliding »

Offline leel

• Embrace simplicity
    • View Profile
    • cmw

Reply #33 on: December 28, 2006, 05:45:04 am
I was a doller, and the reason I quit has more to do with the atmosphere of most dolling communities than the art itself.  Sure there are plenty of crappy dolls out there, but I've met way too many people who absolutely hate even the idea of dolls because they're stiff and uncreative and lacking effort/work, etc, and that's just generalizing too much IMO.  I was a doller for around two years and that's when I learned most pixel art techniques I know/use now, so as an art form it's really not as evil as most people would imagine.  There's crappy stuff in every kind of art community, like someone said earlier, so targetting this much hate toward dolls is unreasonable. 

I said I disliked them, but only because most dolling forums have so much drama involved, it's what turned me off in the first place.  Also there is a lack of serious cc in most places.  It's not ALL "omg kawaii" but a lot of it is compliments without any real feedback about the image.  A friend of mine who'd quit dolling for a while to do some 'staight' pixelling said she went back to dolling because she didn't like how on pixeljoint everyone went straight to whats wrong with her piece instead of sandwiching cc in compliments (goodbadgood).  And I personally don't see that as a problem, so that's why I stayed.  Many dollers, like someone mentioned, are really young and so are really sensitive about what you say, and also because they're so young, it's not a really great place to continue learning once you've reached a certain point.  At least that's how it was for me. 

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: December 28, 2006, 06:17:06 am
I myself like them. I've even had fun with those sites where you can make your own with all the pieces they have.
I used to make dolls, but not so much anymore.
I once tried to make my own deluxe doll with a wide selection of clothes, but creating the base alone was so much bloody work, that I never did carry through with the idea.  :(

I like it, though its weakness is its symmetricalness...

Wow, I wish dolls came like that more often! :P

But seriously, that is totally different than what I'm talking about. It uses pixel techniques and uses those fundamentals and specializes them- rather than inventing anatomy and overusing colour. If I saw more of that, I really wouldn't mind the doll scene.

Lovely stuff Ryona

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #35 on: December 28, 2006, 11:08:20 am
I think it's boring, but fine if people enjoy it. Just don't refer to it as actual pixel art.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #36 on: December 28, 2006, 11:18:23 am
I think it's boring, but fine if people enjoy it. Just don't put it on the same level as fully-original pixel art.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #37 on: December 30, 2006, 07:49:25 am

Offline Aleiav

• I like my coffee black just like my metal.
    • View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #38 on: December 30, 2006, 10:30:24 pm
Within the dolling community, "simple edits" are also very much frowned upon. A doll is only considered good if it's severely (and competently) edited from it's base.

I would disagree. Why? Because 85% of "good dolls" are based on popularity, not skill. Case in Point, Tee. She does have talent but she uses the same pieces on many dolls over and over again and doesn't really do anything besides her basic witch type of scheme. She doesn't have all THAT much talent, but she'll get 10x more replies than most dollers when she posts something because she's the freakin' Whimsical Witch or whatever. Just my opinion.

My main issue with the dolling community is the extreme amount of bullshitting that goes on in place of constructive criticism. In my experience, when you post a doll you rarely, even when asked for, get CC. You just get pages and pages of "Tat's really cute!!!". That's my issue. And when you try and critique people and help them, you're labelled a bitch, insensitive, or harsh. Such has been my experience in trying to go back to the dolling community. I tried to give critique to people and was asked who died and mad me god, then was subsequently banned.

98% of dollers I've seen are not serious about improving on their art. They act like their so emotionally attatched to their work when a lot of them copy, mirror, paste. And god forbid somebody would frankendoll *LE GASP* then you've got a whole witch hunt on your hands because 98% of them also are immature in general.

I used to be a doller. I'm not anymore. I don't take issue with editing bases. I don't think that's unoriginal or not creative. What I take issue with is the entire maturity and bullshit atmosphere of the dolling community. It's just not my cup of tea AT ALL anymore.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 10:32:39 pm by Aleiav »