AuthorTopic: Male Sprite. Critique Needed  (Read 6817 times)

Offline Sammy

• View Profile

Male Sprite. Critique Needed

on: November 15, 2017, 12:46:50 am
Hi Everyone. I created a sprite and I need your useful critiques to make it look better. I'm new in pixel art and your ideas and tips would help me a lot, like always! :)

this is the sprite

and this is the concept art

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:51:43 am by Sammy »

Offline Jumble

• View Profile

Re: Male Sprite. Critique Needed

Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 04:54:11 am
Your sprite has pillow shading, which is something you want to avoid. You can see it most with his pants and boots. The shading with his arms is pretty good. Face needs more love. Face and eyes can be rounded to give a more natural look. Hair is pudgy.
The character's concept art is really well done with his hair and head. It should not be too much trouble translating that into pixels.

My edit with the corrections. I just restarted learning about clothes so anything with them that I make tends to be rather weak (illogical wrinkles, simplistic shading, etc). Someone else on this forum should be able to help you with that along with the perspective and shading you are going for.

Offline Sammy

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 04:57:23 pm
Thanks for your reply Jumble. Your critiques really helped me improve my work. I learned a lot from you :)

This is my updated sprite. Still open to hear what needs to be fixed.

Thanks again!  :D

Offline SilverBrick

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 12:06:54 pm
The arms are shaded a little oddly. On the rest of the sprite it seems like the light is coming from above, but the arms have highlights pointing downwards.

I also think the darkest shade for the skin color is a bit too dark. right now it feels like it's trying to represent a different color rather than a different shade.

Otherwise, I like it a lot. It looked a little wrong at first but again, that was just the arms.

Offline Sammy

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 05:20:31 pm
Thanks for your advice. I changed the arms a little bit. and there's a side view I need critique on too!

I appreciate every single advice guys :)

Offline IIRawsomeII

• Random person
    • IIRawsomeII
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/94098.htm
    • IIIRawsomeIII
    • iirawsomeii
    • View Profile
    • My Site

Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 04:45:22 pm
Your side view looks pretty odd. The face is a full side view but the rest of his body looks like a 3/4 view. If you tried animating that as a walk cycle it would look awkward. So unless it's only his idle pose I reccomend fixing that inconsistency.

Offline Sammy

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 01:06:07 pm
I changed it a little bit. Turned the head to the right some and modified the arm.
How is it this time?

Offline Sammy

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 01:07:33 pm
I'm still looking for your opinions....  :(

Offline Melodee

• omg
    • jarajaramelon
    • beardedgrandma
    • Jara de Nooijer
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 02:34:52 pm
i think the head can be turned a little more to the right. to do this i think you need to redraw the head. im not sure but i think you only moved the eyes a few pixels to the right. which isn't bad, it looks better this way and also i think you can keep this sprite for when the character looks around in case you find it a waste which i can imagine. try to do it yourself first, i am not really great in pixelating but maybe i can help you when you can't manage to do it.

P.S. i really like the look of it. great work!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 02:36:56 pm by Melodee »

Offline Sammy

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 01:58:38 pm
Thanks for replying Melodee!
Yes that's what i did. I moved the eyes to the right. I wanted to make more change but couldn't figure out how since I'm a beginner. Do you have any reference work you can direct me to?

And thanks for the compliment :)

By the way, I have made its walk cycle animation too, and this is the link. https://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=24278.0
I'm looking forward to getting opinions on it too!