AuthorTopic: [OC] [WIP] [CC] Map of Corthé (Estates of the Realm™ RPG)  (Read 1904 times)

Offline estatesrealm

• View Profile

First teaser of my world-building pixel project, Estates of the Realm™ RPG. Custom 32 colour palette. As you can see from the minimap in the bottom right, this is just a small section of the world in progress. Would love some feedback on any/all aspects.

Copyright © 2017 Estates of the Realm™ RPG. All rights reserved.

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Re: [OC] [WIP] [CC] Map of Corthé (Estates of the Realm™ RPG)

Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 05:12:13 pm
I can't tell what 4 or 6 are meant to be representing, a little reworking for clarity would be good.  The others have a very nice and clear silhouette which makes it easy to see which is which at a glance.  The vines on 4 especially are confusing and would probably be worse to someone who's color blind.  Other than that I just think this is really lovely.  The woodcut print aspect is my favorite part, lends a lot of old world style.  I feel I should be learning from you instead of the other way around.  ;D

Offline estatesrealm

• View Profile

Re: [OC] [WIP] [CC] Map of Corthé (Estates of the Realm™ RPG)

Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 08:46:40 pm
I can't tell what 4 or 6 are meant to be representing, a little reworking for clarity would be good.  The others have a very nice and clear silhouette which makes it easy to see which is which at a glance.  The vines on 4 especially are confusing and would probably be worse to someone who's color blind.  Other than that I just think this is really lovely.  The woodcut print aspect is my favorite part, lends a lot of old world style.  I feel I should be learning from you instead of the other way around.  ;D

Thank you for the great feedback!  It's funny you should call out those two in particular for reworking.

IV (4) - 'Tanglebind' (an overgrown jungle) was the absolute first pixel I laid down for the whole map (before the terrain, sea, anything).  I began to rework it before I submitted for comment but my impatience won out.  I agree it's not as good as it can be and think I will rework the background leaves (colour particularly) to ensure the vines pop more.  Limited palette gives me grief sometimes!
VI - (6) - 'Ebonmist' (ruined castle) was the second "feature point" I completed (again, before all else) and I agree, could use some reworking.  I found that I tried to put too much detail into my initial work/sections.

Thanks again!