AuthorTopic: Day Night Cycles in Pixel Art  (Read 3975 times)

Offline Lethandralis

• View Profile

Day Night Cycles in Pixel Art

on: November 14, 2017, 08:08:21 am
How would one go about creating day night cycles for pixel art? After creating a mockup of a scene for example, how can I implement a shader or a filter to accurately depict how the scene would look at nighttime?

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: Day Night Cycles in Pixel Art

Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 09:20:38 am
It really depends on how you define "day" and "night". If they're simple palette swaps, then you can use a palette-changing shader. It's even possible to create effects like lights coming on with palette swapping, if you're clever with the initial palette. If the light type and direction changes, then you would probably need to create that stuff separately. If you want a smooth day-night transition with shifting light sources, that complicates things further.

What exactly are you aiming to do?

Offline Lethandralis

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 07:05:47 pm
I am looking for gradual transition form day to night, but not necessarily concerned about the change of direction of light, and capturing different colors of dawn/dusk.

My question is more about color theory I think. I am asking how would I create a 'night' palette, given a 'day' palette.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 11:48:21 pm
There's no automatic way, because different colours and materials react to the different lighting differently, and you would need to account for the way you use the colours. In addition, you'd want all of the times to still work compositionally and have adequate contrast, etc. You'd need to create at two palettes (night, day, and ideally also dawn/dusk because it looks weird without them) by hand and blend between them to create the gradual transitions.

You could shift all the hues towards blue, saturate them, and darken them, but this'll give you a much worse result than doing it by hand.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 11:50:06 pm by eishiya »

Offline Lethandralis

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 03:39:58 am
Makes perfect sense, thanks!

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 02:41:22 pm
Two games you might want to check that have good cycles / pal changes are (both SNES):

Hook

&

Seiken desetsu 3
twitter: https://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus for 3DS, WiiU & Steam!