Offline Keops

• RibsChirino
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/189965.htm
    • View Profile
    • Behance portfolio

Eureka

on: November 09, 2006, 12:43:04 pm
What's up?

I made this and I'd like for you all to comment and help me improve the piece, there's always room for improvement and although I'm quite satisfied with this I know it can be a lot better. I uploaded a progress gif animation for you all to check out too. Looking forward to some nice critiques, comments & edits too :)

Eureka, 12 colors (inc. transparency)

Progress animation

See you all!
Hearthstead: Art thread - Website - Twitter

COMMISSIONS OPEN! Behance portfolio

Offline Shifty McSly

• the Master Thief
    • View Profile

Re: Eureka

Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 01:01:21 pm
Looks pretty nice, other than the hands, I think they're a bit small, and unclear. The neck might be a bit long and I don't know what's going on with the back leg, but it looks iffy.  I really like the colours and the face especially, tho the frown might be a bit too much. Keep it up :) 

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 07:37:29 am
It looks a bit flat, especially the sleeves and legs, I really like the form of the shoes though. If you curved the cuffs of the sleeves, the shadows on the legs, and added a bit of definition around the knees I think it'd improve it a lot. Also, is she totally flat chested with some sort of design on her shirt or what? I can't quite tell. The arm on her hip is a little short looking, and her back leg is a bit smaller looking that it should be, I think. The pose was a bit more natural looking in the sketch, which is a problem I have a lot, once it's refined it becomes much stiffer and I have to compared it to the sketch to try to regain the original looseness.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 11:10:31 am

Took a color out, added two, 13 left. There's a lot in the edit that might be of interest. Pay special attention to shaping the body, not having near identical shades (white and the skin really didn't have any difference) not being afraid to use more colors where you need them (I don't say that often, heh) buffering with what might at first seem odd combinations. Also pay special attention on how fabric would hug the body volume. The shadow under the skirt doesn't make a lot of sense. Generally lots of little things and bigger things. Hope I helped.

FURTHER EDIT:

Went ahead and looked under the style to see how the anatomy works. I think the top is too long (edited), there chest too narrow (edited), the hips nonexistent (edited, somewhat). The little dress shadow between the legs just to check where things connect, I'm not saying do that on the final piece, the dress isn't translucent.

I know a lot is about this being anime-ish or whatnot but it goes to the point where it doesn't read well. The worst problem in my eyes however, is the broken contraposto you've got going. The hips tilt one way, the shoulders should counter the other way. But they don't, as much as they could to balance it out. I still feel there's something uncomfortable in how the legs are posed (both in mine and your versions) and I hope a woman artist on the boards does an edit, mainly because they know how to draw women better than I can if nothing else.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 11:38:00 am by Helm »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 11:38:36 am
Heed what Helm has to say.

Here is something that popped into my head when I looked at her a bit longer.

She looks like she is in a photoshoot and the photographer is telling her to do that sexy pose where you lean over and ultimatly support yourself with one arm on the bent leg, sticking the ass out. And she is really uncomfortable with the whole situation.

Keep it up, study anatomy more.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Player1

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 11:46:52 am
2Helm
Is there a way to shape here without taking much from original clearness of lines?

Btw, she looks (in original) like she is lighted not from top left, but with extra strong light directly from the front.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 11:49:08 am
You sacrifice something to gain something else. I'm sure Keops will find the middle ground he needs if he's inclined to modify his piece.

I don't think this is central lighting as much as it is washed-out overexposure. More 'photography' wizardry for aesthetic purposes than a real-live lighting situation.

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 11:53:52 am
Leg edit:

If someones standing their front legs shape should be more concave, right now it's convex and looking like she's lifting her leg or about to sit down.
Nice to see some of your art again~
Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 11:56:02 am
That is quite correct but then we sacrifice the pose for better grounding. There goes contrapost and whatnot.

Offline Keops

• RibsChirino
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/189965.htm
    • View Profile
    • Behance portfolio

Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 12:39:50 pm
Thanks a lot for the replies and comments, all of you. A lot of food for thought and nice pointers here. I'll be studying the things you all mentioned here in detail once I get from work and have some free time (maybe in the weekend). I'll take heed of all the advice and I'll be sure to post an update to the piece soon.

Just in case, the character is not mine, is Eureka from the anime series Eureka seveN. The artwork is mine, though, I didn't base it on any piece (tracing), I just sketched a rough lineart as in the progress animation.

@Shifty McSly: Yeah, I notice what you said about the neck being too long. I assume Helm also noticed this, because one of the changes in his edit is the neck lenght. I don't really agree about the hands being too small, but I'll be sure to study it more and maybe I'll tweak them a bit.

@Pawige: Yeah, it happens to me a lot. Somehow the rough sketches (be them pixel or traditional pencil & paper) tend to look more natural or smooth, and when I "clean" the rough edges the end result ends looking too stiff or artificial. Still figuring how to avoid that. I kind of agree with you. Even something in her face looked more natural and similar to the character in the sketch.

@Helm: Lots of great advice there. Thanks a lot for the time you took to edit the piece. I'll be sure to inspect it all carefully and take a good look at the changes to see how can I implement them myself and how could I improve on them to increase the quality of the art. Is there possible you could post me some links to good anatomy sites? I tend to use the net to find anatomical references, but mainly pictures. I'd like some sort of theorical approach, you know, to the terms like contra-posto and all that. I've studied that a while ago in college, and I must admit I'm very rusty, mainly because I've stopped practicing my traditional art skills. Bad me, bad me. As for the clothing, well you're certainly right, gotta check out how the fabric SHOULD fold around the body. Even if her outfit is really tight, there should be some wrinkles and all that. As for the colors I sure have room for improvement, either adding or swapping colors. I don't really mind adding some color to the piece, I could even use 16 colors, no more than that, though. Once again, thanks for your thoughtful comments Helm, very much appreciated.

@Ptoing: Heh, I notice what you mean about her looking like in a photoshoot and being uncomfortable. Kinda true. Also, thanks for the comment. I'll be sure to study some more anatomy (gotta admit it's not one of my strenghts, too much anime/comic drawing and too little traditional art studies :( ) That can be remedied, though, just need to dedicate more time to my art.

@Player1: Although Helm's edit did lose some of the cleanliness (or flatness, as I would rather call it) he has a good point when he says you must sacrifice something to get something else. Still, good comment, about trying to keep the piece clean and smooth and add more detail & fix issues.

@Frychiko: Wow, just a small change on the legs can change the entire piece and that pose also looks interesting. I'm going to study that edit too to see if I can find a balance point in between the original posing and the more balanced one you've made. Thanks for the input!

Well, I'm out for now. Going to revisit this piece really soon and try to improve on it based on all the advice. Thanks!

~K
Hearthstead: Art thread - Website - Twitter

COMMISSIONS OPEN! Behance portfolio