AuthorTopic: Tileset for RPG  (Read 7834 times)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: Tileset for RPG

Reply #20 on: December 01, 2017, 05:00:50 pm
I think both of the last edits look good, and the lower-saturation colours of the bottom one are lovely, but I feel there were some contrast issues, and you may have gone a bit too desaturated. Here's an edit that tries to blend the two of them:

(As a bonus, in my editing I somehow managed to get it down from 48+ colours to 31.)
I decreased the contrast on flat surfaces (walls, ground, etc), so that they look more solid. This had the bonus effect of making the characters stand out better. The most important areas where this makes a difference are the stairs outside, the grey dungeon tiles, and the grass, though I think it helps everywhere at least a little.
I changed the black from pure black to dark red because that feels a bit less dull, but it'll work fine if you change it back to pure black.

The NES palette can't handle this sort of thing, as it lacks this much variety in midtones. The same is true for your other colour mock-ups though. Here's what a NES version of my edit might look like (23 colours!):

(Note that some tiles don't quite meet NES specs.)

Offline StelloHexis

• View Profile

Re: Tileset for RPG

Reply #21 on: December 01, 2017, 08:17:12 pm
I used the original pallete and changed the colors of many tiles trying to make it as close as possible to the blended image. I think I will keep this one. (Also I made some edits to some ground tiles and other things).