AuthorTopic: spartacus  (Read 7579 times)

Offline im9today

• xtrwsqgcxct
    • View Profile

spartacus

on: November 09, 2006, 05:50:44 am
Seperate from my other junk because I'd like specific critques on these if you would be so kind. They'll be blown up 150% for the game they are in, so if you don't like the chunky pixels now it is only downhill from here.

New versions:

« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 12:58:42 am by im9today »

Offline Wes

• View Profile

Re: spartacus

Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 07:00:25 am
could you blow them up to 200%, then? If it's not a good even hundred number it gets really distorted.

From what I see, though, they really are awesome. Love the cartoony style.

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 07:12:43 am
You can click zoom on them.

Anyway, really cool style, but the earth seems to bother me a bit.  The arms seem almost pillow shaded and the head's far too "chunky" as compared to the rest of it.  I can't really say much about the others.  Very interesting concept, by the way.

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 07:59:36 pm
The main problem I see with the earth is that the head is more worked than the body (it has higher contrast, smoother shading, etc) which just makes it look...funny.

Offline im9today

• xtrwsqgcxct
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 10:36:33 pm
could you blow them up to 200%, then? If it's not a good even hundred number it gets really distorted.

From what I see, though, they really are awesome. Love the cartoony style.
No, I can't. :( They get blown up to that size to fit the screensize of the engine I am using (2d Fighter Maker 2002). I am considering leaving them this size (100%) though I'm not sure it will play as well... I will post more about that in the future when I have more done. And thank you. :)

You can click zoom on them.

Anyway, really cool style, but the earth seems to bother me a bit.  The arms seem almost pillow shaded and the head's far too "chunky" as compared to the rest of it.  I can't really say much about the others.  Very interesting concept, by the way.
Hmm, guess I should remove the arms and start them over. Thanks.

The main problem I see with the earth is that the head is more worked than the body (it has higher contrast, smoother shading, etc) which just makes it look...funny.
I made the head look like that on purpose, though it is actually less worked; all I did was blow it up from the smaller size I started at, about half the size of what it is now, and then clean a little. :3 I'm stoopid. You can see it in other places too, such as the gladiator's hair thingy and the purple guy's hood shading.

This will probably assist general critque: these sprites are for a fighting game.

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 11:54:56 pm
Even if it's on purpose, I still think it looks funny ;) Mostly just because it gives the face more depth and volume than the body, which is the opposite of what you'd expect, especially from a big round earth guy ^_^

Offline im9today

• xtrwsqgcxct
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 09:07:54 am
-->
Old --> New

Did I manage to fix anything? Is there anymore I can adjust before I animate him? I actually kind of like the update less because it seems to have lost character and coherent color scheme. :(

hlep plz thx

Offline im9today

• xtrwsqgcxct
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 06:57:16 am

Screenshot to show the HUD I am working on.

Offline TehSilentOne

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 07:01:21 am
^ ah, so that's where you've been.  ;) Lookin' sexy.. (off topic, but all gargoyles i can think of have open mouthes..) ^_^ anyway; cool.

Offline GOODNIGHTdestroyer

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 09:08:07 am
The hud is my favorite part.

Why did you block me on msn?
And I am finally seeing that you were the one worth eating.