AuthorTopic: Is possible to make a good tattoo design with pixel art?  (Read 2938 times)

Offline Derby Smith

• View Profile
Hello, my drawing ability is not very proficient, but I really like the tattoo design, I like pixel art because it's easy to make, whether by pixel art can do this? I mean pixel art is a pixelate drawing, is there maybe a trick by drawing pixel art and then enlarging it without reducing the quality and make a good tattoo without pixelate? Thanks  ;D

Offline Hunited

• Post-ironic is the new authentic.
    • View Profile

Re: Is possible to make a good tattoo design with pixel art?

Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 09:14:19 pm
Hello, my drawing ability is not very proficient, but I really like the tattoo design, I like pixel art because it's easy to make, whether by pixel art can do this? I mean pixel art is a pixelate drawing, is there maybe a trick by drawing pixel art and then enlarging it without reducing the quality and make a good tattoo without pixelate? Thanks  ;D
It's not quite clear what you are asking, but if you enlarge a pixel drawing with resample settings set to 'Nearest-Neighbor' the pixel-character is preserved in the larger image.

Offline Derby Smith

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 01:59:58 am
It's not quite clear what you are asking, but if you enlarge a pixel drawing with resample settings set to 'Nearest-Neighbor' the pixel-character is preserved in the larger image.

I mean I want to make a tattoo design without pixelated, but is it possible I draw it with pixel art technique? of course I have to draw it with small size, and when I later enlarge it is there a trick that can make my tattoo design to be no pixelated? Because if I use pixel art technique, then of course my tattoo design will be pixelated. I've seen someone from an art forum doing pixel art techniques to create digital paintings, and the results are very good.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 02:31:36 am
There is no way that works well. There are upscaling algorithms such as XBR to make smooth images out of upscaled pixel art, but they will always be blockier, less detailed, and have less nuance in shape and line than artwork created at the larger size to begin with.

Drawing skills will help you a lot in pixel art, so it's worth taking the time to learn to draw instead of trying to do everything with low-res pixel art.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 10:08:59 am
If you are getting a tattoo you will be working with a tattooist anyway so you can always create your pixel design to show them they type of thing you are looking for and have them design the final full sized image.