AuthorTopic: Wallachian Night teaser - a Super Castlevania IV style game  (Read 3335 times)

Offline Tezca

• View Profile
First of all, thanks to everyone here that's provided me with feedback so far. My previous part time project is now my full time project, and this community definitely helped me get to this milestone. Here is a short teaser for the game I've been working on, Wallachian Night.

https://youtu.be/5TP27ZsdZkw

I did not intend to release a video just yet, but I wanted to have something to show in time for a small indie game showcase on Reddit. I will continue to work on the trailer, but for now, this is what I have. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Screenshots:

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: Wallachian Night teaser - a Super Castlevania IV style game

Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 07:57:35 pm
I like that castle vault area. The characters stand out well (though the floating one's a bit dark), the colours of the environment suit the setting.

The rest feel a bit... stark? Very high-contrast, to the point that the characters are sometimes difficult to spot, and the colours are very neutral, there's no real sense of atmosphere (this last bit is true of the vault as well). Consider picking a mood colour for each area, and mixing it into all the colours in various amounts. If you're working with a set palette, try to pick colours from a limited part of it for each area.

There are some stray pixels in many of the assets, they could really use a clean-up pass. It's surprising how just taking a few minutes to get rid of single-pixel noise can make a huge difference in the apparent polish of the art.

Offline Tezca

• View Profile

Re: Wallachian Night teaser - a Super Castlevania IV style game

Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 08:22:22 pm
Thanks for the feedback. I agree that the hero and (some) of the enemies are really easy to spot in the crypt vs the other two areas. I like the populated backgrounds of the outdoor areas, but you're right, it's much easier to see the characters in the parts of the level where I leave out the trees and the red hero is on top of a mostly black background.

Luckily, we are still really early into the project, and we have the time to make these improvements.